Menu
COLD FEET! Literal vs implied meaning. Is there a Chinese equivalent?
May 6, 2008 10:19
  • GRIZ326
In the USA when we say cold feet it does not often mean that someone's feet are cold. It often means that someone is getting nervous about doing something.

Common examples of times that a person might get "cold feet" is before they make a large financial decision like buying a home; or before they get married.

That is what cold feet usually means in the USA.

What do the Chinese say to describe someone getting nervous before a big decision or event? Do Chinese get "cold feet" or something else? :-)
May 6, 2008 20:24
  • EMILYJOY
haaa. In Chinese there is not the description of cold feet. Sometimes we may say jinzhang or bu'an before making big decision. Sometimes we say: I feel my back (or spine) is cold, which means you are scared or shocked especially when you hear some horrific news.
May 7, 2008 10:38
  • GRIZ326
Thank you Emily. If you could add the Chinese characters it would be very helpful to me. I like to use my electronic dictionary to read about the characters. :-)
May 7, 2008 21:46
脊背发凉,these r the characters.
May 8, 2008 10:40
  • GRIZ326
Thank you for the characters ... 脊背发凉 ...I would translate that as "chill up my spine" it is the sort of thing a person might say when they see a ghost or have a scary and unexpected experience.

Is that the Chinese meaning?

If so, is there an expression that better characterizes apprehension?
May 8, 2008 20:50
  • ALICIAYIYI
In China, get cold feet means 犹豫不决(you2 yu4 bu4 jue2) , it means someone can't make a decision.
And it has another meaning 临阵退缩 (lin2 zhen4 tui4 suo1), it means that someone is so nervous before a big decision or event that he even wants to give up.
Post a Reply to: COLD FEET! Literal vs implied meaning. Is there a Chinese equivalent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code