Menu
Life in Rural China
Jan 30, 2005 01:51
  • CSTOUDER
I am a recent college graduate volunteering in the countryside in Hunan. We just opened a non-profit school for rural girls in a village, and I am one of the 4 teachers (the other three are male Chinese teachers, and I am a female American teacher). I am in a nearby city (Chang Sha) for the Spring Festival vacation, so I have a lot of internet access and wanted to tap into some networks to get in touch with people with similar interests. I don't have just one specific question, but please reply if you are interested in women's issues, urbanization, migration, rural poverty, or life in a village. I'm especially excited to find out if there are any more people out there on this network that also live in a village. A couple specific questions:
1. When traveling in a big city, how should you deal with situations when it seems like everyone you meet wants you to be their English tutor, even if you've never seen them in your life or are just passing by? I struggle with this a lot when I'm in the city. I don't want to be rude, but I can't say yes every time.
2. How would you suggest finding and meeting other foreigners in a city? I have yet to get to know a foreigner in my 6 months here since our school is isolated from any foreign presence.
3. Are there any "must-see" places in Hunan?
Jan 30, 2005 09:48
1.Use a bit accent(like French) to show your english is as same level as they are. Little tricky but useful:).
2.There are must be some pubs that foreingers all run for. Or you can go and visit some of famous Universities. I am sure you will meet your pals:)
good luck!
Jan 30, 2005 10:20
  • CSTOUDER
Hahaha! That's a wonderful idea! Lots of people have asked if I were Uyghur before, so I was thinking of approaching one of the people from XinJiang who sells dried fruit at a stand nearby and asking him to teach me a few words so I could say I was from XinJiang. haha. I'll make an accent! :) Don't have money to frequent bars with my stipend, but I'll check out the universities and see what I find! THanks
Jan 31, 2005 17:53
  • ICERAIN
Two places can not be missed:

one is Zhangjiajie National Forest Park,
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/hunan/zhangjiajie/zhangjiajie.htm

the other is Fenghuang (Phonix)County!
http://www.china.org.cn/english/TR-e/28418.htm
Post a Reply to: Life in Rural China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code