Menu
How do you approach death in China?
May 20, 2008 23:01
  • ICEBLUE
What are the words that you frequently speak to the families of the deceased? Do you just say " Amen"? Would you still say "amen" to the families of the deceased if they don't believe in religion?
May 21, 2008 02:03
  • LIONPOWER
About religion.
We know 80 percent Chinese people did not believe on Religion but they also praying too.

Really we all believe in -- " There is God and only one"

If you don't believe my word, ask your mind. What is reply ? Touch your heart-- What is reply ?

So we can say "Amen" for every body.
May 21, 2008 20:53
  • LEONARDO
In Chinese, we usually say "节哀顺变(jié āi shùn biàn)" to comfort the family members of the deceased. Literally, it can be translated into "restrain your grief and sorrow for a better tomorrow". It indicates that the living needs to move on so please restrain your grief.
May 22, 2008 20:12
  • MARRIE
I think, Jsummer, I have answered part of doubt in fashion forum.
Apr 4, 2009 21:23
GUEST68144 My neighbors daughter passed away and I would like to know how to show my respect properly
Apr 5, 2009 01:31
  • JOSHIRV57
Well, what do you know.No one knows what to say at a funeral,or to some-one whom has a relative die in China ! When you hear fire-crackers going off,its more
than likely a BUDDA death.Its not a celebration,for dying,its to send the soul on its way to a better life.There are more things involved ,including food,and fake
money,and so on.(I'd explain in detail,but a few people here would not understand) Of course,the Chinese,have funerals,and not everyone can attend,as they do
not all,have time off from work.These rituals are done every year,as now,this April 5th,and the whole week-end. There is always something you can say or do,or
even give the "RED ENVELOPE",(and dont no-body tell me I am wrong!!) I have been to several deaths,which is expressed the same ways as in the states.(You just
dont give them money,fore you will make them feel worse.)You can say the same things,as you would to any who grieve.The Non-Buddas,are the same,with death.
The Chinese people are very close,and many times you will not know who is really a relative or whom is only a friend,as the friends are also family members.
Its surprising,how many people have no idea,about death,and its protocol.
Apr 6, 2009 12:57
GUEST78251 Now BY claims he's an expert in Chinese culture
Apr 7, 2009 18:13
GUEST66161
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSHIRV57 View Post

(I'd explain in detail,but a few people here would not understand)

Why don't you explain in detail so others may share?
Apr 9, 2009 23:19
GUESTEXAS dont be a wiseass let these people be. what makes you think we are better?
Apr 9, 2009 23:25
GUESTZERING
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSUMMERS83 View Post

From my experience death isn't something much talked about here in China, but I need some help here, specifically from natives.

I've lived here for a couple years now and a good friend of mine gave birth to a healthy son last year. Two months ago they had to bring him to a big hospital to check out his heart which was having problems, a...

The traditional Tibetan way for burial after death is to feed vultures with the bodies of the dead, after the living members of the family has chopped the corpse up to bits and pieces.

Maybe you can help them to chop it up buddy
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do you approach death in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code