Menu
Is it possible to visit Jiuzhaigou next month
May 13, 2008 21:19
  • NICELADY
Is it possible to visit Jiuzhaigou national park next month? I heard the area was hit by a powerful earthquake.
May 14, 2008 00:33
  • JABAROOTOO
There is a chance you can still visit but it could be slim. We have heard nothing yet about areas like Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong but you will not be able to travel by bus from Chengdu. that road will be closed for some time and likely to be off limits to all but essential traffic for some time after it is reopened.

If you are taking a tour, then your agent should be able to give you information about whether or not they can fly you in or take another road route, perhaps via Xian. the park is over an hour drive from the airport and the road may well be damaged so my advice is don't expect to visit but if you can go it will be a real serendipity. Remember this region and its people has been severely devastated by this quake.
May 22, 2008 11:20
GUESTNANCY I received the official media release from Jiuzhaigou's media advisor this morning and will post it here this evening.
May 22, 2008 11:25
GUESTNANCY Here is Jiuzhaigou's official statement...

Jiuzhai Valley National Park has not been significantly damaged physically. Many staff members have still not been able to contact family members and they are our priority at the moment.

The roads from Chengdu to Jiuzhai Valley are blocked due to the earthquake of 12th May 2008 and are expected to remain that way for some time. The best way to get to Jiuzhaigou is to fly although the government has warned against any unnecessary travel to the whole region for the moment. Flight schedules have been affected by the disaster however.

Jiuzhai Valley did not experience any significant damage during the earthquake. No hotels or businesses appear to have been damaged. Mobile phone and internet connections are still working as normal.

Inside Jiuzhai Valley National Park there have been no rock slides or land slips. Some rocks did fall from the cliffs during the big earthquake but no injuries or significant damage have been reported.

Jiuzhai Valley and Huanglong create so much income for the whole region. Many of the people who were lucky enough to escape with their lives from the earthquake in the region now face severe financial difficulties. The best way to help these wonderful people is by coming back to the area and giving them your business. And this is not a chore! The scenery in the park is spectacular at the moment. All the trees are green, wild flowers are in bloom and the sun is shining. I suggest contacting the park and/or your travel agent for latest reports on Jiuzhaigou.
May 23, 2008 00:06
  • JABAROOTOO
Thanks Nancy,
That is good news, since earlier report implied that a bus load of national tourists was killed in the area during the quake but we've not hear any more since.

CCTV 9 which is the State TV announced as of yesterday, Thursday 21st May that ALL TOURIST ATTRACTIONS in Sichuan would be closed until further notice.

This seems excessive but it would be wise to check before trying to make a visit. I agree the Park is beautiful at this time of the year and it should be a shame for visitors not to be able to enjoy it and help the locals pick up the pieces.
However flying is, as you say the only way in and the airport is being used for ferrying in essential supplies for the northern towns in the quake stricken area.

Keep posting updates when you receive them.

Thanks
Post a Reply to: Is it possible to visit Jiuzhaigou next month
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code