Menu
Travel and transport in China
May 19, 2008 14:02
  • CHINAGHOST
Hi everyone I am new to this so not really sure how this thread goes but will give it a go.
I am going to China in August to work and have never been before so don't really know what to expect although I love the idea of expecting the unexpected which I am sure it will be.
I arrive in Shanghai on 10th August 2008 and then have to go to Kunming after spending two weeks in Shanghai. My question is about transport and how do I get from Shanghai to Kunming in the cheapest yet safest way possible?
I was looking at flights but they are really expensive and I am not familiar with other modes of transport. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get to Kunming from Shanghai as I leave Shanghai on 22nd August and must be in Kunming by 24th August which is a Sunday I think.

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone or anyone can help me out with any information or links and it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

C-Ghost
May 20, 2008 00:53
  • JABAROOTOO
More on the price of flights.

I just did a search for flights from SH to Kunming on 22/23 August and prices available are only Y2050 or Y3000

However if you do a search for next month those two flights have discounts as low as Y1100 for the 3hour plus flight.
Good value for money for less than US$165

So wait until you have arrived. It is always cheaper to buy domestic tickets in China and even over the counter at the Airport.
May 20, 2008 09:47
  • BOOSYBOY
If you wan to see the real country of China you MUST go by hard seat for a true experiance.

Shanghai is an intresting place where the tourists arn't
May 20, 2008 10:29
  • JSUMMERS83
Must go by hard seat?! I have to strongly disagree with you!

Hard seat adventures should not be a first-time experience and definitely not on a journey over 24 hours long.

Taking a train would definitely be an interesting adventure (in a hard sleeper at least!), but Jabarootoo is right on the money about air travel in China. The tickets will be drastically discounted in the month and week of the actual flight. If you can be flexible with times and don't care which airline you travel with, going to Kunming by air can almost be as cheap as by train.
May 20, 2008 13:39
  • ELLYSE
I'm sorry but I think I will no longer consider anything that Boosyboy says, as anything that's even remotely sensible. I'm sure he'd strongly disagree with that though.
In any case, Spring Airlines (http://www.china-sss.com) would be an excellent answer to your question, but you'd need to grab the cheap tickets as soon as they go on sale. Typically 2 months beforehand.
Post a Reply to: Travel and transport in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code