Menu
First time China
May 19, 2008 14:03
  • CHINAGHOST
Hi everyone I am new to this so not really sure how this thread goes but will give it a go.
I am going to China in August to work and have never been before so don't really know what to expect although I love the idea of expecting the unexpected which I am sure it will be.
I arrive in Shanghai on 10th August 2008 and then have to go to Kunming after spending two weeks in Shanghai. My question is about transport and how do I get from Shanghai to Kunming in the cheapest yet safest way possible?
I was looking at flights but they are really expensive and I am not familiar with other modes of transport. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get to Kunming from Shanghai as I leave Shanghai on 22nd August and must be in Kunming by 24th August which is a Sunday I think.

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone or anyone can help me out with any information or links and it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

C-Ghost
May 19, 2008 18:36
  • JARCHACK
If you're not going to fly, that doesn't leave too many options. 2600 miles is a little too far for bike or taxi so that leaves the train. About $100 USD for a berth. Check the train link at the top of the page. I'm not sure what you mean by "safe" but despite the Shandong incident trains are far safer in China than they are in the US.
May 19, 2008 22:25
  • BETWEENUS21
yes there's train services from Shanghai to Kunming - and it takes about 1.6 days or about 38 hours to reach. U can take the train K79 Shanghai South to Kunming departing at 19:17
May 19, 2008 23:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Don't rule out flying.

I don't know where you have been looking but prices drop the closer it gets to departure date to help fill the flights.

Once you arrive in Shanghai check out the fares. You may be able to find something that isn't going to break your budget and will get you there in just a few hours.
May 20, 2008 13:40
  • ELLYSE
Spring Airlines (http://www.china-sss.com) would be an excellent answer to your question, but you'd need to grab the cheap tickets as soon as they go on sale. Typically 2 months beforehand.
Post a Reply to: First time China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code