Menu
TEACH ENGLSIEH IN CHINA!!
May 20, 2008 09:50
  • BOOSYBOY
Hi there,

I would like to teach english in China for a year as a way of a) experiancing life in the country first hand and
b) have opputintys to travel further in China during the school breaks.

I would like to Hear YOUR experiance of teaching in China.

Also how easy is to get a job with NO degree or NO TEFL certifcate. I dont have experiance teaching but guess I could bluff that one.

Thanks in advance for your help!
May 20, 2008 10:28
  • SASHA
You couldn't choose better time then summer 2008... lol
May 20, 2008 13:41
  • ELLYSE
I can't wait to be one of your students.
May 20, 2008 17:30
  • WCTMAN
Anything is possible in China, but to the best of my knowledge, no University degree means no job, at least no legitimate job. Gone are the days when you could do exactly what you have in mind; now, you require a work permit prior to arrival, and you will find it very difficult to do this without a degree. No work permit means that you are at the mercy of any and all unscrupulous employers / agents, and this can lead to all kinds of headaches and heartaches. No university degree means you can forget about teaching at a university, too. I would contact a major private school, such as English First or Aston, and ask them directly what their position in this situation is. Otherwise, you may find yourself paying your way over here, paying for your own accomodations and maybe even working for free ( meaning, no pay at the end of the month, since you have no official permits...). Good luck.
May 20, 2008 23:05
  • GRIZ326
You'd better use a spell checker on your resume. :-)
May 21, 2008 00:20
  • JABAROOTOO
My sentiments exactly GRIZ. and Ellyse.

That's the problem with teaching in China these days. So many people think they can just 'bluff' their way through.
It is harder than you think unless you have
(A) a gift for teaching
(B) suitable experience

Coupled with qualifications you may just do a great job

I've met a lot of younger 'travellers' and recently qualified university graduates who struggle through their work and in the end a minority leave a 'bad reputation' for foreign teachers.

Why not work as a tour guide.......you seem to have a knack for it.......
May 28, 2008 11:25
  • APAULT
China will not get the quality teachers it needs until it pays decent salaries. I know that Chinese will say we are already well paid, but we can get better pay in our own countries (after allowing for higher costs). The result is you get some people who are interested and have real experience, some teachers who can't get jobs elsewhere and you get travellers who are just doing it to pay for their gap year travel. Higher pay will attract career teachers who can do a professional job.

But there again, the system prevents us from doing a decent job. Management is so bad and we are often there just so they can say they have foreign teachers, in their marketing. I am now giving up in disgust.(more comments in another post).
Jun 1, 2008 09:24
GUEST12431 If you wish to be a high paid teacher go home!
Don`t *** about the system where the cost of living is so cheap,and so many people work far more hours than most Westerners can comprehend for so little money.
Post a Reply to: TEACH ENGLSIEH IN CHINA!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code