Menu
need shaoxing hotel
May 21, 2008 20:11
  • SCOTTT
Can anybody recommend a hotel in Shaoxing, near the night markets and downtown areas that are pleasant to walk around?
May 21, 2008 21:29
  • ELLYSE
What price range are you looking for?
May 21, 2008 21:46
  • SCOTTT
as I'll only be there for one night, I'm very flexible - anything up to $100 US is OK. I'd like to be centrally located so I can walk around a lot and see the sights.
May 21, 2008 22:47
  • ELLYSE
Shaoxing isn't very big, and taxis are cheap in case you get tired of walking.
If you want a more unique hotel near the Lu Xun sights, try Lao Tai Men: http://www.laotaimen-hotel.com
If you want a nice (as in more upmarket) 5-star hotel near the city square, try Shaoxing Hotel: http://www.hotel-shaoxing.com --> the Shaoxing cuisine at this hotel's Chinese restaurant is said to be one of the best in Shaoxing.
May 22, 2008 20:16
  • SCOTTT
Thanks Ellyse. I've done some more studying, and I'm having second thoughts on Shaoxing. I will be in Hangzhou for 2 days either way, but now thinking about my final two days after that (out of an 18 day trip) to Xitang and Tongli, then off to PVG, of course. It looks do-able:

Train from Hangzhou to Jiashan in the morning, then to Xitang for a night, then (somehow) get to Tongli (perhaps a local bus or a taxi), stay a night, then go a bit further to Suzhou to get a fast connection to the airport. What do you think?
May 22, 2008 21:06
  • ELLYSE
Nope, I wouldn't recommend Xitang and Tongli right next to each other. Geographically and transport-wise not that wonderful, and water villages are similar.
What's the rest of your itinerary for 18 days?
May 23, 2008 10:35
  • SCOTTT
Travel days 2,
Xi'an 4 days
Chongqing 2 days
Yangtze cruise 3+ days
Hangzhou 2-3
Travel home 1 day
These dates and cities are already locked in via airplanes, hotels, etc.

I wanted to spend a day or two as side trips from Hangzhou (making that 4 total), and had originally considered Shaoxing. But, now I'm having doubts. So I either find few side/day trips from Hangzhou, or I move up to the Xitang or Suzhou areas. I am very interested in a low-key place such as a water town, as I will have spent enough time in the big noisy cities during the rest of the trip.

May 23, 2008 10:47
  • ELLYSE
Eww. I would actually, really, encourage you to drop the 3 Gorges cruise. Royal waste of time and money IMHO.
Further afield in Jiangxi province, I really like the Hui-style villages at Wuyuan. But I'm not sure if those would be too far for you.
Suzhou, is a not-very-big-but-still-noisy-crowded-and-overpriced city.
Where are you flying home from?
May 23, 2008 21:21
  • SCOTTT
well, i did hear some negative vibes on the cruise, but also some very positive comments too. It's a once in a lifetime deal, so I will let you know what I think when it's done.

I'm not really interested in Suzhou itself, but definitely a water town. But, I'm sure I'll return to Shanghai for business sometime and could see them then. I'll check into Wuyan.

I'm already planning another trip for about a year from now to Kunming and further up into the mountains, and that probably won't be the last one.

I'm departing from PVG.
May 24, 2008 03:32
  • ELLYSE
Shaoxing is actually quite a nice place to spend a day or two.
Also, I'm not sure if Lishui would be also within your consideration?
May 24, 2008 21:34
  • SCOTTT
when were you last in Shaoxing, and what did you find interesting?

Never heard of Lishui, but will look into it.

thanks!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: need shaoxing hotel
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code