Menu
Teacher with degree wondering about job
May 21, 2008 21:25
guestBilbo in China Hi! This is my first post here. I live in Beijing with my Chinese wife, we are having a "year" off from work rigth now, but in april 2009 I will start looking for jobs here. Im from Sweden and I have been working as a teacher for 8 years (kids aged 7-12 mostly). I also have a teachers degre, I guess in English I would call it a Bachelour of teaching, from the Univeristy of Umeå (far north of Sweden). In my degre i specialized in history, Swedish and English. Although I am not what you migth call a native speaker I am always misstaken for an Englishman (from other Laowais) so I guess my English is up to a good standard.
So my question: how does the job market look for a guy who has this resume´ ? What do I do to "prove" that I have this degree? I have already a certificate from the Chinese embasy certifying that my degree is geniune, do I need more proof? Were is the best way to start looking for a job for me do you think?

Thank you all in advance for your anwers and your help, I realy appriciate it!

/Michael

My blogg (in Swedish though):
http://bilboinchina.blogg.se/
May 22, 2008 02:56
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you language skills are more than adequate. First question is whether or not you want to work in the Chinese Education System or the much smaller International Schools System (Pays better for longer hours plus benefits).

If you prefer teaching children you may be able to find a good job working with kindergarten and primary ages, especially in Beijing where there is a huge demand. Chinese schools often post online or through ESL related websites and of course there are many private Language Schools around that offer good salary packages and working conditions to the right people.

If your 'quals' have already been certified, then draft the best looking Resume you can and post it online with the CONFIDENCE that you are equal if not better to many of us native speakers.

To be honest this would not be too hard in some cases.

If the International Schools is where you'd like to work then have a look at the positions vacant at the schools websites.

All the best
J
May 23, 2008 16:17
GUEST60245 i see many spelling errors and incorrect sentences in your posts,am sorry to inform you making yourself safe and good,at least do not play with the future of chinese kids,you are not qualified to be a teacher at least of english as your english needs serious improvement.Why many people want to play with children's future just by showing their white faces.Many jobs in china rather than non teaching jobs...try out folks
May 23, 2008 20:22
  • LEMONCACTUS
Agree with Jab,

I'll point you in the direction of a couple of the best websites for getting a general idea of the teaching jobs available, salaries and that kind of thing... looking now is a good idea as places are just starting to recruit for the new school year in September, so there are a lot of new jobs around.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl
http://www.mykindachina.com/jobs/index.php

I can't imagine you'll have any difficulties. Many schools state a "native" English speaker, but I think this can be negotiated.

April might be a slightly more difficult time to look for a job though, as it is in the middle of the "semester", so your choice at that time is likely to be more limited.

Good Luck
May 24, 2008 05:27
GUEST20274 Thank you for all your help guys! I guess I could start looking at the start of a new school year, I have a lot of savings so money is no concern (for a long time).
May 28, 2008 11:16
  • APAULT
GUEST60245, You raise the question, are the foreigners up to it? Firstly, many institutions don't care that much, it is pure marketing. They can advertise they have a foreigner and get enrollments. (I have taught 60 student classes in Middle Schoool, just 40 mins a week - what use is that?)

Next, in many ways, the work I am doing could be done by a Chinese! I teach oral English in a private college attached to a govt funded uni. I was told NOT to teach pronunciation as a Chinese teacher would do that. !!!!! My job is to get them to talk in English (and undo some of the deep seated errors that they have been taught since they started learning - and yes I have to include pronunciation). Why can't a Cchinese teacher get them talking?

It's true the students hear my beautiful London/Sydney voice and have that to copy!!. But there are two main reasons why foreigners are needed: they are better trained for doing this type of work as few Chinese teachers have much concept of teaching theory and practice in the realm of class involvement and motivating students. Most teach directly from books and create few teaching ideas. Also, foreigners introduce many aspects of culture to the classroom, which the Chinese teachers are not normally able to do. On the last two points, it matters little whether you are a true native speaker or not.

If anyone is playing with the students' future it is the incompetent management of these institutions. Many foreign teachers come with a lifetime of experience and want to share them but their ideas are routinely rejected by the old farts running these places. They know best and there is no room for discussion. My team leader has NEVER asked how things are going, he will not arrange any professional meetings with other teachers, and no-one tells us when holidays are. I have IT, management, business process improvement and teaching experience, and would be happy to assist in my own time. FORGET IT, don't even think of trying. It doesn't add to short term profit!

Oh, and the students regularly tell us our classes are better than the local teachers. We are also the ones they come to when they have personal problems. So if our friend from Sweden is a professional, he will NOT be playing with his students' futures.
May 30, 2008 08:06
GUEST09106 Your Engslih need serious improvments..(directed to GUEST60245).. you are kidding us rigth? Were are you from? Russia?
Post a Reply to: Teacher with degree wondering about job
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code