Menu
Solo traveller from Shanghai to Qingdao, questions!
May 24, 2008 10:12
  • EWWGETOFFME
Hi everyone, am new here. Registered for the purpose of finding out last-minute information!

1. Leaving Singapore for Shanghai this Friday. Would like to leave for Shanghai to Qingdao on 1 June, but wish to follow a tour. Do not know which travel agency I should approach in Shanghai.

2. Said tour should preferably be a group tour with hotel and meals and whatnot. Is it possible that even though I am travelling alone, I join a group tour with groups of people that I don't know? (I thought most tours are like that, but emails that I have sent to travel agencies within China have told me otherwise. I.e., me with a guide and a car and a big hole in my pocket because it's private and I enjoy such services alone. Hmm.) Is this option of being a solo traveller yet with a group possible at all?! ((tears hair out))

3. Is it possible to get such a group tour that lasts no more than four days? So far from my sources (all the sites that I've visited, at least), all the short tours to Qingdao are private(?!).

Some things that may help answer my questions: I'm Chinese, I speak read and write Chinese and I am on a budget.

Thanks, everyone!
May 24, 2008 10:15
  • EWWGETOFFME
Sorry!!! I realised that I phrased my 1st question rather weirdly.

Re-phrased.

1. Leaving Singapore for Shanghai this Friday. THEN, would like to leave FROM Shanghai to Qingdao on 1 June, but wish to follow a tour. Do not know which travel agency I should approach in Shanghai TO ARRANGE THE TOUR TO QINGDAO.

Thanks once again.
May 24, 2008 11:32
  • JABAROOTOO
If you are Chinese and can read and write Chinese, why on earth do you want to go with a tour.

Book yourself into one of the many hostels in Qingdao and when you get there have a look at day tours available, meet other travellers and see if you can do some things together. Online bookings make it even easier.

You have so many advantages, don't sell yourself short on group tours that will probably run you ragged and not give you what you want in the end. Take the train or fly, for as little as Y520. Any travel agency can help you out with tickets. Check here for schedule and prices. Tab at top of page.

My Chinese is not brilliant but I mange to get around solo and on a budget as domany of the rest of us. Give it a go........It's really not so difficult.
May 24, 2008 19:58
  • ELLYSE
Yes, I totally agree with Jaba.
You might want to see if Spring would offer any short tours.
If you want to DIY, PM me if you want help. I just went to Qingdao last November.
May 25, 2008 07:45
  • EWWGETOFFME
Dear Jabaratoo and Ellyse

Thanks for your replies.

The main reason why I wanted to opt for group tour is because I am travelling alone (for the first time) and felt unsafe exploring Qingdao alone. The thought of booking myself into a hostel and arranging something with the other travellers is something I've never thought about, so thank you guys for pointing that out. Will seriously consider that and also look at Spring's offers. Cheers!

May 25, 2008 11:16
  • ELLYSE
Why unsafe?!
May 25, 2008 12:13
  • EWWGETOFFME
Ellyse:
Uh, because I'm told lots of horror stories of solo female travellers falling into some sort of slump abroad, and it's my first time venturing out out Singapore alone. Plus, unsafe meaning lost in a country that isn't my own and not being able to sign certain documents myself should the need arise because I'm still a minor. And I've been living a... sheltered life with not much exposure to countries outside South-East Asia? I have no idea how China is like in this aspect, i.e. catering to female solo travellers who are in China for the first time in a long while. the last time I went there was in 1994 when I was in kindergarten. I believe that to play things safe on my first venture to Qingdao, it would be wiser to travel in a group. Or do you think this is all undue and it is perfectly okay for me to travel around alone in Qingdao?
May 25, 2008 19:24
  • ELLYSE
Perfectly ok. Stop having the Singaporean mindset.
If all that was true then I should've been dead long ago.
May 26, 2008 08:01
  • EWWGETOFFME
Ellyse:
Hahahaha! Thanks for the encouragement. I will just go ahead then. It feels a lot more comfortable when someone who has been to Qingdao is telling me something like this. My parents are... very uptight about me travelling solo to China, even though my mom travels frequently alone. -_-
May 26, 2008 11:06
  • ELLYSE
Well, let me know if you want to meet up in Shanghai. I'm studying here, 5th year.
May 27, 2008 05:35
  • EWWGETOFFME
Ah, cool :) Sure we could arrange something! I'm meeting up with a friend from Zhejiang who is working in Shanghai, she's bringing me around Shanghai, but I'd love to meet up with you too.

Should be leaving for Qingdao on 5th June instead of first. Think will be there over the weekend. Visiting another friend, actually.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Solo traveller from Shanghai to Qingdao, questions!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code