Menu
traveling for business under tourist visa a bad idea?
May 25, 2008 22:02
guest42199 Greetings,
I'm traveling to China from the USA on business to install a scientific instrument. Apparently business F visa's now require a letter of invitation from the foreign ministry of China. I am working on getting the letter, but I probably won't have it in time for my trip. One of my colleagues suggested that I just apply for a tourist visa which doesn't require a letter from the foreign ministry. I don't feel good about doing this but I'm considering it. What do you think? Is traveling to China for business under a tourist visa a bad idea, or not a big deal? I'll be carrying tools, a few spare parts, and training materials ect. Advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
May 27, 2008 08:55
  • JABAROOTOO
If you don't get a letter of invitation, then apply for a tourist visa but you will most probably need to supply an itinerary and proof of hotel reservations.

Don't feel bad. It's sometimes the only way to go.
May 28, 2008 10:16
  • APAULT
I used to visit the US from Britain for short business trips. On the visa forrm it asked if you are going for business. It was a big mistake to say business as they would decline the visa application and send you a much larger form which required tons of paperwaork. We queried this and were told, such visits were not business as we were employed overseas. I would take the same line for China. If you are making a brief visit and are being paid at home it is not business!
Post a Reply to: traveling for business under tourist visa a bad idea?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code