Menu
Strong aftershock hit Qingchuan County
May 26, 2008 01:26
  • KATRINA
At 16;21 May 25 (Beijing Time) a strong aftershock(about 6.4 Richter scale) hit Qingchuan County, claiming nearly a hundred lives in Sichuan, Shaan Xi and Gansu Provinces. Over 270,000 houses were damaged in the aftershock. The epicenter of the aftershock is located in Northeast of Sichuan Province and is adjacent to Gansu and Shanxi Province.So people in both provinces were shaken heavily. The red circle refers to the epicenter.

May 26, 2008 01:29
  • KATRINA
The vehicles are clearing up the ruins in Qingchuan County.

May 26, 2008 01:31
  • KATRINA
Rescuers are in action.

May 27, 2008 20:12
  • LEONARDO
A strong aftershock measuring 5.7 on the Richter Scale jolted Ningqiang County, Hanzhong City in Shaanxi Province at 16:37 (Beijing Time) on May 27. When will the aftershocks end? So far, the death toll rises to 67,183 .
May 28, 2008 03:35
  • JABAROOTOO
It's interesting to see the extent of the aftershocks.

They seem to slowly be heading north-east away from the initial quake area around Yingxiu in Wenchuan County

Indeed, when will the after shocks end?

Have a look at this quake information site.

It's interesting to see how many minor shocks, ones we don't notice, are happening all the time. I had a look at the area where I live in Australia where we 'DON"T 'have quakes and was surprised to find how active the area was. Not surprising given that it is close to a group of very old and weathered Volcanic Plugs, a famous landmark these days.

But my point is, there are minor earth tremors almost on a daily basis but they cannot be felt so we assume that nothing is happening.

So go checkout where you live and see how quite it is?????

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/10/105_35.php
Post a Reply to: Strong aftershock hit Qingchuan County
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code