Menu
breaking a contract before I'm in China
May 26, 2008 14:11
  • DYSARONNO
Hello, I kinda have a problem that I hope you guys can help me out with.

I agreed and signed a contract with a school in China already. My visa is being processed and they have bought me a flight ticket. Problem is I found a better job offer in a location that was my first choice. I really dont know what to do at this moment. I figure I could break the contract but I dont know if they'll ask me to pay for the flight ticket or how the visa would work, would I have to pay for another visa or could I use that one? My contract starts in Sept. and I havent left the states yet.

Any advice would be great guys, thanks in advance.
May 26, 2008 20:02
  • JSUMMERS83
Interesting situation you have there. The answer to your question, and I sense you already know this, is that no, you shouldn't break your contract. Whatever kind of employer this is stuck their neck out by buying you a ticket over here and that's not something I've heard done often (many companies reimburse the money for tickets once their employees arrive, though). The fact remains that you have signed a contract and to break that contract is wrong.

So option number one is to just stay with your first contract and make the best of it. Chances are you'll like the location more than you first realized. This doesn't mean you're stuck, though. Your second option is to contact the school and explain the situation. Obviously don't expect them to pay for your flight ticket or your visa, though. There is a chance that they would understand and I'm sure they would appreciate it much more than if you skipped out on them. If they release you from your contract and this "better" school hires you, hopefully you can use that same flight to get you to the new location, otherwise you might just have to eat that money.

As far as the visa goes, someone else might have to answer that question. I think you could use that visa being processed now to still get in the country but that changes would have to be made by people from the new school when you actually arrive here in China. Again, someone else will respond with a better answer for that. Whatever you do, try not to break your contract, especially before you've even arrived here!
May 26, 2008 20:56
  • DODGER
I see ths more of a case about your integrity and morals.
How would you feel if the boot was on the other foot and someone did this to you?
Or on your arival the school turnd around and said “ sorry, weve changed our minds?
Dodger.
May 27, 2008 09:01
  • JABAROOTOO
I agree with all the above.

You could ask them to release you and if they did then you should apply for another letter of invitation from your 'better' option and reapply for your visa.

The first school has absolutely no obligation to honour the visa and IF you dump on them they will likely cancel it and you will be left at a POE with an invalid visa and no return ticket.

Take the first job, one year is not long. Ask the other school to consider you in the next school year.

And welcome to China
May 28, 2008 10:38
  • APAULT
Amazing: they have provided a ticket. That must be a first for any school/college in China. Maybe they are worth working for !
Jun 5, 2008 00:15
GUESTDYSARONNO Thanks alot for the advise everyone, I really appreciated it. I've decided to stay with the first school. I might go for the other school next year, I'll see how I feel about teaching in China first.
Post a Reply to: breaking a contract before I'm in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code