Menu
Idiomatic expressions about "toilet" needed
Jun 3, 2008 04:27
  • LEMONCACTUS
In England we do say "loo" a lot! I'll usually say "I'm just going to the loo" to friends, but in a restaurant or when it's necessary to be more formal, I'll ask "where are the toilets?".

As far as I'm concerned, I know what WC means, but would never use it in speech. It's used a symbol on maps and in written English but not often spoken in England.

My Chinese students introduced me to their hand signal for WC. The little finger, ring finger and middle finger remain upright and spread out to form a W; the thumb and index finger curl towards each other to form a C!
Jun 3, 2008 06:34
  • JABAROOTOO
I agree with you Lemoncactus. We also use the word 'loo' informally with friends
but WC is what you write on floor plans and maps but is never used in the spoken language,

There is a first time for everything and I also have been introduced to the the WC sign language and it is surprising how widespread it's use and understanding is.
Jun 3, 2008 07:31
  • JSUMMERS83
I'm fascinated by the fact that "WC" is not used anywhere in the US (at least that I'm aware of). Not orally, not on maps or floor plans...nothing. I think the US uses "Restroom" with the same frequency that the UK and Australia uses "WC".

Surprisingly I have yet to experience the WC hand sign. The only sign language I'm familiar with is the traditional cross-the-legs-and-hop-around. Watching a kid do that is priceless.
Jun 5, 2008 04:00
GUEST71227 In england you may ask where the lavetory is
Jun 11, 2008 20:51
  • AL32
here's two expressions that I've heard but don't really use:

at a bar after a few drinks: "I will go break the seal" --> mainly refers to the first piss you take after many drinks.

and the other one is for a #2 job: " I will go drop the kids" --> I don't really want to explain that one... hehe!!
Aug 28, 2012 07:36
GUEST00158 Wiktionaries 'English toilet slang' page aught to help you out a bit.

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_toilet_slang
Oct 26, 2017 19:08
GUEST16292 "Hong lam" Laotian meaning toilet, in Vietnam do we need to say "phòng vệ sinh"<phong basin"?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Idiomatic expressions about "toilet" needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code