Menu
Which Chinese city is the best to live in?
May 29, 2008 03:30
How many cities have you visited in China? Which one do you think is the best to live in? Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Chongqing, Sanya, or Shenzhen? Or elsewhere?

Beijing is the cultural and political center of China.
Shanghai is China's center of economy and fanance.
Xi'an is a historical city blessed with ancient cultural relics.
Chongqing is a mountainous metropolise where the food is delicious.
Sanya is a coastal city in Hainan Island where the beautiful sunshine and beach is well-known.
Shenzhen is a newly-developed city where great opportunities are offered to ambitious young people.

Which one do you want to reside in if you have the chance to choose?
May 29, 2008 06:22
  • LESBUB
Macau!
Jun 4, 2008 05:00
  • NOORI
Xiamen is a great city! It's next to the sea and there is still a lot of nature around.
Jun 9, 2008 23:25
  • TOMSPENCER
I'll chip in for the tiny city of Huizhou, in Guangdong province. Of course, the 'best' city depends on what you want out of life, but Huizhou has it all for me. Beautiful scenery, peaceful parks, friendly locals, a great sense of community, not too many expats, a vibrant night-life, great dining, convenient access to Shenzhen and HK (should you need it), and a good helping of triads and bribable politicians.

The city isn't 'backwards' by any stretch of the imagination, however its development is taking place in a very Chinese way - that is, influenced by new business and the western world, but not directed by foreigners (because there are so few foreigners there). Instead, the constant development of the city is being directed by the youth and the young entrepreneurs who have their own ideas about what to do with the culture that's being inherited from other countries. To some foreigners who come to Huizhou, it seems like the city hasn't really caught up with the modern world, however this is doing a great injustice to the city.

Sun Yat-Sen started his first (albeit failed) revolution in Huizhou, and the city also saw the creation of the triads, however everywhere you look today you can see a thoroughly modern metropolis rising from (but still carefully preserving) very historical foundations.

I lived in Huizhou for 2.5 years before moving to Guangzhou and I still go back there from time to time. Nothing else I've seen in China compares to Huizhou.
Jun 13, 2008 02:42
  • LING1211
Hangzhou !!!
Aug 20, 2008 18:05
  • REMAG1234
NONE, it is the country of POLLUTION. The government will never be able to clean it up.
Aug 21, 2008 23:54
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
If I could just pack and leave the US, I would love to live somewhere in the pearl river delta of Guangdong province. Somewhere like Foshan or Taishan. I love anywhere that has a large body of water, perhaps I should have become a fishermen instead lol.
Aug 22, 2008 20:30
  • BARONTWANGLE
Definitely not Shenzhen!
Aug 23, 2008 10:57
  • DAVEC
Best place I visited would have to be Chengdu. Big city with everything and it is clean and pollution free.
Aug 23, 2008 12:58
  • CARLOS
My experiences about Chinese cities are very short. I only can say I would not like to live in Guangzhou or Guilin.
Guangzhou´s air could be cut with knife and Guilin, well, I just didn´t like it.

Carlos
Sep 16, 2008 05:08
GUESTJORDAN If you are young then Shanghai is the best place for you. Everyhting is very close and convenient. Foreigners like it a lot and the city likes foreigners also. Even since 100 years ago there were many of them.
The rest are typical chinese and may be you cannot overcome the cultural shock.
If you are in the mid aged or more then the old cities are the best choice for you starting from Bejing.
I was in love with the mountains since my childhood as i watched chinese posters with the misty hills fading in the distance.
If you are just visiting China.... very hard but try to see as much as you can. :)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which Chinese city is the best to live in?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code