Menu
The customary practices at Dragon Boat Festival
Jun 4, 2008 04:39
gueststeve I will spend Dragon Boat Festival in China. I am told that the holiday fall on the fifth day of the fifth month in Chinese Lunar Calendar. When will you celebrate the holiday this year? Do you have some customary practices on the holiday? I heard that I must drink kind of wine to ward off evil? Is it a must? Thanks in advance!
Jun 4, 2008 07:18
  • JSUMMERS83
Don't forget to eat your zong zi...the sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves!

I think the holiday falls on Sunday this year, but they're giving us Monday off of work as a holiday - at least where I'm at.
Jun 4, 2008 20:18
  • LEONARDO
The festival is celebrated everywhere in China to memorize the patriotic poet Qu Yuan who drowned himself after his state was captured by another state. The customs vary in different areas of the country. Generally, there are some shared pratices:
Hanging Calamus and Moxa
Dragon Boat Race
Realgar Wine
Spice Bag
Most families hang Calamus and Moxa on the front door, drink realgar wine and wear spice bag on the day to ward off evil. It is belived that wearing a small spice bag around with you can drive away evil spirits, as well as bring fortune and happiness to you. The small spice bag is stuffed with Chinese harbal medicines. It is hand-made with red, yellow, green and blue silk, fine satin or cotton. Various pattens are embroidered onto the bags.

Jun 6, 2008 01:56
  • FAERIEQUEENE
yes it falls on this Sunday the 8th it's going to be a long weekend

It's also "customary" that it should rain...to accompany the Dragon boat race.....and it's very likely now....
Post a Reply to: The customary practices at Dragon Boat Festival
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code