Menu
few questions about Guangzhou and South in general
Jun 4, 2008 23:10
  • SEEKER2K
Hi

I'm looking into traveling to Guangzhou and have a few questions. I cant find any big tourist attractions or information on such, like I can for Xi'an, Great Wall, Yunnan, etc. So I am hoping someone might shed some light here for me. I am looking for detailed information or some direct links / sources where I can find it.

I dont want to just go there to see a big city, even a Chinese one since I have been living in big cities all my life. I'm also not looking to go far into the country side and ride around on mules or alike. So I don't know what exactly I am looking for since I have such scarce info about this region as far this goes. I am however searching for anything outstanding, unique or interesting around there other then the food and shopping, and preferribly not modern.

1. Guangzhou is a very old and historical city, yet I cant find any old museums or info on major historical tourist attractions in or around it. Same goes for the entire southern region actually. I see lots of stuff on Teracotta, Emperor's Palaces etc, but nothing for the coastal south regions.

2. Where are some good beaches close to Guangzhou, and no, I don't want to go to Macau or HK or the islands. Just looking for a beach I can go to for a day or 2 then come back to GZ.

Thanks in advance for info.
Jun 5, 2008 02:40
  • JABAROOTOO
Re season you can't find much is because there isn't that much that is considered as worthy as the Warriors or the Wall. However there is plenty to see but like much of China if you don't speak the language and don't have the time to travel slowly you will not find much.

There are a couple of museums in Guangzhou and these are all easily found in the Guide books or Google

Zhaoxing is a famous Scenic spot
Kaiping is renown for its thousands of Diao Lou of towers and you can find a lot of info simply doing a google. I have yet to write up my review but there is enough out there for now

I did come across a Guangzhou tourist website that gave a little information about some hot springs to the north of the city with some pretty scenery but...............

You can forget about good beaches in China. The only decent ones that I have found for both clean sand and water and a quiet kind of atmosphere were on Hainan Island and even there it's not quite what you'd expect although I guess that depend on where your coming from and what your expectations are. Mine are high..........

Having said that you could check out the are around Daya bay which is up the coast from Shenzhen and east of Huizhou. There a boats out to some off shore islands that may offer something.

Any other places of interest you will have to go bush to find and see and you'll need some local assistance.
Jun 5, 2008 03:41
  • ELLYSE
Jaba, I think you meant Zhaoqing of Guangdong province, not Zhaoxing of Guizhou province?
For traditional architecture, I would suggest that you check out Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci) and Shamian island in Guangzhou; Kaiping's diaolou watchtowers (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/guangzhou/3390010011.html); and the Hakka roundhouses near Yongding, in Fujian province (http://www.amoymagic.com/FJAdv/Roundhouses.htm and http://www.amoymagic.com/longyanyongding.htm).
If you're looking for tombs, I would recommend Tomb of the Nanyue Kingdom in Guangzhou, somewhat near the main train station.
Jun 7, 2008 10:24
  • SEEKER2K
Thanks, I will definetly check out what you said. It's a bummer there arent any real good beaches there. Maybe someone else can add some more to this, maybe some interesting unlisted spots they have visited.
Jun 7, 2008 14:26
  • ELLYSE
The only beach I went to in that province was Nan Ao, of Shenzhen. I found it rather pleasant, though unoutstanding.
Post a Reply to: few questions about Guangzhou and South in general
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code