Menu
Finally a decent cup of coffee in Changsha
Jun 6, 2008 05:28
  • THEFIFTHTONE
For expats and Chinese friends who have been looking for a real coffeeshop in Changsha...it is here!

I'm an American who's opened a American-style coffeeshop
called The Fifth Tone in Changsha, Hunan, China. It has real coffee drinks
and homemade desserts like brownies and banana bread.

The Fifth Tone is a local hangout for foreigners and Chinese friends alike
and has become an awesome platform for great coffee and cross-cultural
communication!

Every Tuesday night there is English Corner, and we have live music on
Wednesday nights.

We are open Monday thru Saturday, 2pm-10pm.

The Fifth Tone is located on Changsha's West Side, XinMin Road, HuaLongGe
No. 106. Telephone: 0731-8805303
Jul 20, 2008 02:36
GUEST36241 The Fifth Tone has truely been a home away from home for me during my time in China. The coffee and deserts are great and you will meet some of the most kind and interesting people there, especially the owners.
May 4, 2009 09:27
GUEST49239 Hey, I've been trying to reach you.. Its Alan Paul from Wall Street Journal and woodie Alan Band... if you see this, email me...AlanpaulATpobox.com
Sep 4, 2009 17:03
  • CHANGSHATONY
After my first week in Changsha I am slowly settling-in and getting accustomed to the city. An Internet search turned up an unexpected surprise; The Fifth Tone Coffee Shop. I finally made it there yesterday. As expected, the friendly staff were knowledgeable in just about everything to do with Changsha; at least from my perspective of a new arrival. My visit was Firday afternoon, I did not expect the place to be overly busy. However, the clientelle present were friendly enough and it was easy to strike up a conversation - something I wanted.

To my delight, I found out live music is on the venue every Firday night from 7 - 9 PM. The staff informed me of additionl events held on a weekly basis; an English corner; Tuesday nights, 7 - 9 PM and a proposed Mandarin corner Tuesday afternoons 3 - 4:30 PM. I have not attended any of these events yet but I plan to in the future for it may be a good way to network amongst the expats.

A bit of trivia... I learned the west side of Changsha, where the Fifth Tone is located is orignally the area expats were permitted to settle by the Chngsha city government.

Lastly... as of the date of this posting, the street leading to The Fifth Tone is under extensive reconstruction and closed to through vehicular traffic. But pedestrian traffic flows right on through. If anything, the constrcution zone is a good landmark!
Oct 9, 2009 21:36
  • THEFIFTHTONE
The road construction is finished, and we are finally open to traffic!

Chinese corner is now on Friday afternoons, 2:30-4:00pm.
Live music has been moved to Friday nights from 7-9pm. We have some great acts lined up! If you are interested in doing a gig, please contact us at: gmail.com|thefifthtone

A google map can be found by searching for The Fifth Tone, or call for directions: 8880-5303
Oct 22, 2009 15:41
GUEST17087 I am traveling to Changsha in mid November 2009. I am staying at the Sheraton Hotel and always look for a good cup of coffee or mochachino.

How do I find your place?

Gary Diamond
e-mail: educan.ca|garydiamond
Nov 28, 2009 03:51
  • THEFIFTHTONE
Hey there!
Our street was recently renamed (though we have NOT changed locations!), making our new address:

The Fifth Tone
Changsha's west side
Xinmin Road, Shimenlou Street #3

Also, Changsha's phone numbers have all added an "8", making our new shop number: 0731-8880-5303

Hope to see you soon!
Mar 31, 2010 03:33
GUEST89198 Hi there! are your services very expensive or just average?
May 26, 2010 02:25
  • THEFIFTHTONE
Our prices are very reasonable...a cup of coffee is just 15 yuan, with free refills!

Hope you can stop over soon!
Sep 24, 2010 05:54
GUEST31133 I was down there looking for you the other day. You're still here in Changsha, and open? If so, hope to see you soon. Thanks, Mike & Ruth
Sep 25, 2010 03:23
  • THEFIFTHTONE
We're still here! Give us a call to make sure we're open: 8880-5303
There are some obscure holidays when we're closed, but usually open!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Finally a decent cup of coffee in Changsha
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code