Menu
True romantic story
Jun 13, 2008 19:53
  • YINDUFFY
Far, far away in a pioneer settlement called 148 Farm in the deserts of Xinjiang a teenage girl was working in a small cotton processing plant. Her task was to take samples of the cotton to measure moisture content. She had to do this while the machines were running. Her glove got caught in the machine and she reached with her other hand to pull back but both hands were pulled into the machine and crushed. Rushed to the small hospital, there was nothing they could do for her and both arms were amputated above the elbows. A soldier read the tragic story in the newspaper and decided that he would devote himself to taking care of her. He was an orphan with no family and he would love her and take care of her.
They lived in a mud house and he worked nights so he could care for Ling Ling. She learned to balance on the back of a bicycle to go shopping or to visit. The town built a brick community toilet in her neighborhood for protection from the weather. Her prosthetic arms are useless and she has to go all the way to Shanghai every time she needs new arms.
Despite this hardship, they raised a beautiful daughter,Lu Lu, who today is a nurse in Shenzhen.
Today Ling Ling lives in an apartment we helped them buy and she has an indoor toilet. Her husband cooks and cleans as well as works.
It is a wonderful example of true love.
Ling Ling is my sister-in-law.
Jun 13, 2008 21:16
  • GARYKINKADE
A very moving story and I wish them all the good luck that's possible.
Jun 14, 2008 00:41
  • MARRIE
Yinduffy, it seems you made it up.
Jun 14, 2008 01:25
  • GURTY
It is so moving that i can't believe it is true.
Jun 14, 2008 10:18
  • LIONPOWER
So need to see.
Yinduffy,
Give us address of Ling Ling, we wish to see her in Shenzhen.
Jun 14, 2008 17:28
  • YINDUFFY
Ling Ling Yin and her husband still live on 148 Farm. We stayed with them last Summer, in 2004 and 2000. We later visited Shenzhen where another sister-In-Law lives and is the director of a school for deaf Children. There we met with LuLu also. (We paid some money under the table to get her a job in a good hospital. That is they way they do things there.) LuLu's mom, Ling Ling has arthritis in her hips now and doesn't get around much. They have no refrigerator and they live on the fourth floor with of course no elevator ( China does not require elevators in buildings less than 8 stories high.)
This is a true story. Ling Ling has to be fed and dressed by her husband as well as every other daily function. .The people in 148 farm know her as"the lady with no arms". My wife's family was one of those sent by the military to develop the rural areas of Xinjiang. Her father was punished during the cultural revolution because he was an intellectual.
There are many amazing stories of seemingly ordinary folk.
Jun 14, 2008 19:10
  • MARRIE
there are lots of sad stories during 10 year cultrual revolution. Foutunetaly, my grandma's family on my mother side was ok execept 2 bars of gold were seized by revolution red guards and we began our schooling after the end of the event. hehe.

BTW, Mr. Y...I think you are rewriting stories by combining different plots at that era..i guess in this site, there is the other gnius who is exellent in creative short stoires..
Jun 15, 2008 15:59
  • YINDUFFY
All that I have said is true. I am not one given to fantasy. I believe in the expression "Truth is stranger than fiction."
The story of Ling Ling and Mr. Zhou is one I thought should be shared. Chinese do not normally wish to speak about themselves and I thought that this example of true devotion is uplifting. All too often we hear only bad news.
Jun 15, 2008 22:59
  • LEONARDO
A very touching story! Wish them well and lucky!
Post a Reply to: True romantic story
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code