Menu
Cost of a Car & Driver in Shanghai, Beijing or Xi'an
Jun 13, 2008 23:30
guest11190 May I know how much will it cost to engage a car with a driver to take us(3 people) for a day ?

Shanghai - major sights
Beijing - Great Wall, Ming Tomb
Xi'an - Teracotta Warriors, Walled City, Goose Pagoda & a Tomb
Jun 14, 2008 03:04
  • GURTY
Xi'an - Teracotta Warriors, Walled City, Goose Pagoda & a Tomb

Walled City ? Do you mean the City Wall?

If you live in the city center, bell tower area, you can walk southward directly to the City Wall, for it taks only no more than 10 minites to reach the a gate of wall where you can begin your tour on the wall. It cost CNY 20 from the city center to the Goose pagoda by taxi.
Both Teracotta Warriors and A tomb are far away form the city center, I visited them by bus, so don't know the exact price.
Jun 14, 2008 12:51
  • ELLYSE
Assuming Chinese-speaking driver in Shanghai, around 800 RMB/day.
I don't know which section of the Great Wall you'd prefer to go to. Assuming Mutianyu Great Wall, around 800 RMB as well.
Jun 14, 2008 17:46
GUEST41382 Hey,i bought a new car this month.Which is a mini-van(Buick Gl8),we called MPV here.
It is top van for business man.I am an English tour guide with tour guide licence.I am very familiar with Beijing.
so tour in Beijing with me,you don`t have to hire a guide more.I am also offer pick up and drop off at airport.
If you need guide,I am still the right person
hotmail.com|konglin316
Jun 15, 2008 03:50
GUEST75205 #1,

Ya, I am refering to the City Wall, sorry. I forgot to include the Shaanxi Museum, is it good ? How much time is needed to visit it ? Which Tomb did you visit ? How much time to you need to visit the Teraccotta Site ?
Can I do the Shaanxi Museum, Teracotta, Empress Wu Tomb, Big & Small Goose Pagoda and City Wall all in one day with a hired car and driver ?

#2 ELLYSE,

Is RMB800 a car the cheapest I can find ? We are only 3 people, so I guess joining those local day tour in Beijing with guide and entrance fee included is cheaper ?

#3,

How much do you charge for a day ?
Jun 17, 2008 11:48
  • ELLYSE
Well, I'm sure you could find cheaper than 800 RMB/day, but it depends on your standards. Maybe you don't mind being stuck in a car dating from 7 years back, with a chain-smoking driver.
"Cheaper" is always relative. Tours in China are notorious for wasting your time with kick-back shopping stops. If you find yourself stuck with too many of those, the simple answer is because you paid too little for the tour!
Yes, the Shaanxi Provincial History Museum is definitely worth visiting. I would allow perhaps half a day there!
You could rush the Terracotta Warriors into about 2 hours, not including the travel time.though. If you include that, then you should budget for half a day.
Jul 4, 2008 04:51
  • GURTY
Yes, Shaanxi History Museum is worth visiting and now is free for all tourists. 4000 free tickets are given out every day and after 4:30 pm, tickets are not available.
It takes around one hour from the city center to Teracotta site for a single trip and takes over two hours from the city center to Empress Wu Tomb for a single trip. So it is impossible to cover Shaanxi Museum, Teracotta, Empress Wu Tomb, Big & Small Goose Pagoda and City Wall all in one day even with a hired car and driver. Shanxi History museum.
So I suggest a two-day tour.
One day: City Wall- Teracotta-Big Goose Pagoda(the pagoda night scene is spectacular)
The other day: Shaanxi Museum (To guarantee getting a ticket)-Small Goose Pagoda-Empress Wu Tomb
Jul 6, 2008 20:46
  • GURTY
Last weekend, I take a taxi to the railway station and asked the taxi driver about the fare. He said that engaging a car with a driver for a day is 200 Yuan. For the terracotta, 260 Yuan for a round trip. For the Emperor Wu Mausoleum, it is more than 200 kilometers from the city center, the average price is 500Yuan for a "single" trip. So it is suggested to go to Emperor Wu Mausoleum by bus from the bus station which will only cost no more than 30 Yuan for each.
Jul 13, 2008 20:43
  • ELLYSE
Which "Emperor Wu" Mausoleum? Are you talking about Empress Wu Zetian? Or Han Wudi?
I just got back from Xi'an. Took us 190 RMB round-trip (including waiting time) for half-day to Hanyangling; 500 RMB round-trip (including waiting time) for a day to Famen Temple, Qian Tomb (Empress Wu Zetian) and Mao Tomb (Han Wudi and Huo Qubing).
Post a Reply to: Cost of a Car & Driver in Shanghai, Beijing or Xi'an
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code