Menu
How about USA state nicknames?
Jun 20, 2008 10:06
  • SETH
Here are USA state nicknames. Not all make sense to me, but it might be of interest --
Alabama -- Yellowhammer State, Heart of Dixie, Camellia State
Alaska -- The Last Frontier
Arizona -- Grand Canyon State, Copper State
Arkansas -- The Natural State, Land of Opportunity, The Razorback State
California -- Golden State
Colorado -- Centennial State, Colorful Colorado
Connecticut -- Constitution State, Nutmeg State
Delaware -- First State, Diamond State, Blue Hen State, Small Wonder
Florida -- Sunshine State
Georgia -- Peach State, Empire of the South, Goober State
Hawaii -- Aloha State, Pineapple State
Idaho -- Gem State, Spud State
Illinois -- Prairie State, Land of Lincoln
Indiana -- Hoosier State
Iowa -- Hawkeye State
Kansas -- Sunflower State, Salt of the Earth
Kentucky -- Bluegrass State
Louisiana -- Pelican State, Sugar State
Maine -- Pine Tree State
Maryland -- Old Line State, Free State
Massachusetts -- Bay State, Old Colony State
Michigan -- Great Lakes State, Wolverine State
Minnesota -- North Star State, Gopher State, Land of 10,000 Lakes, Bread and Butter State
Mississippi -- Magnolia State
Missouri -- Show Me State
Montana -- Treasure State, Big Sky State
Nebraska -- Cornhusker State
Nevada -- Silver State, Battle Born State, Sagebrush State
New Hampshire -- Granite State
New Jersey -- Garden State
New Mexico -- Land of Enchantment
New York -- Empire State
North Carolina -- Tar Heel State, Old North State
North Dakota -- Peace Garden State, Flickertail State, Roughrider State
Ohio -- Buckeye State, Modern Mother of Presidents
Oklahoma -- Sooner State
Oregon -- Beaver State
Pennsylvania -- Keystone State, Quaker State
Rhode Island -- Ocean State, Little Rhody
South Carolina -- Palmetto State
South Dakota -- Coyote State, Mount Rushmore State
Tennessee -- Volunteer State, Big Bend State
Texas -- Lone Star State
Utah -- Beehive State
Vermont -- Green Mountain State
Virginia -- Old Dominion
Washington -- Evergreen State, Chinook State
West Virginia -- Mountain State
Wisconsin -- Badger State
Wyoming -- Equality State, Cowboy State

Jun 22, 2008 22:26
  • LEONARDO
Seth, to be honest, I am confused by many of the nicknames. Some state nicknames that are related to their natural conditions make sense. Well, some others, I have just no idea. How about Wisconsin -- Badger State? Badger is the state animal? Anyhow, thanks for sharing the nicknames.
Jun 23, 2008 07:57
  • SETH
I do believe the badger is the state animal for Wisconsin. I have to admit that I am sometimes as confused as you are as to where the nicknames come from. Some, like Nebraska, make sense from the point of view that Nebraska grows a lot of corn and lots of people have to do corn-husking. Or New Hampshire really does have a lot of granite-based mountains, and West Virginia does have a lot of mountainous areas (they call themselves "mountain men" there). But what is a "sooner"? And I've been to New Mexico and it is mostly hot and dry desert areas, and not really that "enchanting" for me. And New Jersey has lots of refineries, stockyards, and stinky dump areas, so I don't know where "Garden State" came from! People from Missouri are said to be skeptics, so maybe thats where "The Show Me State" came from.

I am guessing that some time in US history some one said "Hey! We need to have state mottos (and state animals, state birds, state flowers, etc.). So someone was assigned to think up these things, and they did the best they could!
Jun 23, 2008 23:17
  • GARYKINKADE
O.K. since nobody is going to answer the "sooner" question, I'll give a quick (and not necessarily fully correct) answer.
In 1889, part of the state of Oklahoma was open to settlement by "homesteaders" (a term used for those individuals who settled the land and were permitted to keep it provided they maintained and improved on the land)
These people were to assemble on the(outside) border(s) of Oklahoma in Kansas, Texas and Arkansas and at a given signal were to race to this chosen area to be homesteaded.
However, there were some individuals who did not abide by the rules and were actually in this area already(by hiding) and claimed the land before the other settlers arrived.
These people were called "sooners" and they gained the land by CHEATING.
So why they weren't called CHEATERS instead of SOONERS is a good question.
maybe "sooners" sounds better.
Jun 23, 2008 23:27
  • GARYKINKADE
Calling the Oklahoma University football team as the cheaters instead of the sooners could result in severe and dire consequences, especially if one lives in Texas.
Jun 24, 2008 07:59
  • SETH
GARYKINCAID - thanks very much for the "sooner" explanation. Your reference to the OU football team also made me chuckle and think if they did rename the team the OU "cheaters", the University of Miami might have to rename their football team the Miami "hooligans and delinquents".
Sep 6, 2008 01:27
GUEST99222 Thank you very much this was part of my homework for my college computer class!! First page I clicked on.

thanks
nic
Sep 7, 2008 20:53
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Many of the state names are saying what you can usually find in that state. For example, Ohio is Buckeye state because of the buckeye trees. By the way, New Jersey has many great gardens. California being called the Golden State is due to the fact that there was a gold rush there decades ago and the year 'round sunshine which prompted many to move to the West.
Post a Reply to: How about USA state nicknames?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code