Menu
No ads, all white?
Jun 25, 2008 20:24
  • KATRINA
I just watched several tennis matches of Wimbledon Championships. To my surprise, all tennis players wear white sports suits. I am quite confused. Why do they wear white sports suits? Are there any special requirements for those players? Also I have heard that there Wimbledon Open is different from other three Opens. At Wimbledon, there is no ads around the court. Really strange! Ads can help them make more money. Why don't they put ads here? Anyone here can answer my questions? Forgive my stupidness.

No ads?

Jun 25, 2008 20:24
  • KATRINA
All white?

Jun 25, 2008 21:53
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Katrina,

I love Wimbledon and have been to the Championships twice, queueing up overnight both times to get my tickets. Once for Centre Court, and once for number one court. It's an amazing experience.

I can help you a little bit with my general knowledge. The wearing of white is an old tradition, dating back as far as the founding of the club, (somewhere in the mid 1800 I think, Wimbledon is the oldest of the four major tennis grand slams), although it only became an official rule some time later. In the players rules it states that the players must wear "largely white" clothes, sometimes you do see spots of colours, usually to highlight brand or logos.

The players actually do still wear the advertising of their sponsors on their clothes too, but it is much less obvious than at other championships, because it must be in white, or kept small. You can see the "Nike" logo on Federer's bandana, for example!

There is some advertising on the courts, but it's very subtle. Wimbledon ONLY uses certain official sponsors, who obviously pay an absolute fortune to be exclusively linked with the Wimbledon brand. If you look closely at the green screens you will see small "Slazenger" logos and also on the drinks machines under the umpires chairs are usually small "Robinsons" brand logos.

One thing I love about Wimbledon, and what makes it special, is its sense of tradition... on court there is nothing but the players and the grass and the tennis. It could almost be the same as a hundred years ago! I think it's great that there's no vapid advertising from multinational brands to distract from the game :)

Of course, the reality is that behind the scenes, and off court, Wimbledon (the complex) is filled with advertising from its sponsors. The official Wimbledon Brand itself (2 crossed tennis rackets as a logo) is massive worldwide, and you can buy all sorts of "official" merchandise from the shop online. Eating out and drinking at wimbledon costs a fortune, even by London terms, and the ticket prices are also pretty expensive. IBM is a major sponsor of Wimbledon, and its logos are all over the official website. So it's still there, it's just a lot more subtle.

This is the official website: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

LC

Jun 26, 2008 21:36
  • KATRINA
Hi, Lemoncactus. Thanks very much for your explanation. Basically, I have got an answer.

"I love Wimbledon and have been to the Championships twice, queueing up overnight both times to get my tickets. Once for Centre Court, and once for number one court. It's an amazing experience."

Lemoncactus. You are really a fan of Wimbledon. Do you still watch Wimbledon Championships now? Who are your favourite tennis players? How do you predict 2008 Wimbledon Championships? Who will be winners (men and women's singles)?
Post a Reply to: No ads, all white?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code