Menu
Do you have such encounters, foreign friends?
Jul 3, 2008 04:20
  • BLUESKY001
I guess the same thing happenes to a Chinese who is in a foreign country. Foreigners stare at a Chinese too, because you think the Chinese is so different from you.
Jul 3, 2008 08:24
  • WINK
I just returned from my trip to China and was approached by many people including 3 television stations, 1 newspaper reporter and 1 radio station reporter.
I think there were a number of reasons. First I am tall, blond hair & blue eyes but I think more it is because my fiancee is so beautiful. The local newspaper in Chengdu did a story about us and how we met, so did CCTV 9. They were also curious if I was nervous to travel to this area because of the earthquake.

We were also approached by many people in Beijing wanting to sell us tours & souvenirs. Many of them were very aggressive at the tourist spots like the Forbidden City.

Attached is a photo of my sweet Fiona.

Jul 5, 2008 21:24
GUEST5526 You have a beautiful wife. She looks much younger than you! The Chinese citizens adore the white westerners.
Aug 21, 2008 23:31
  • CLOUDHANDS
This did not happen to me in China ( not been there) but I know what you mean. I lived last year in rural Korea, where my life consisted of a lot of screaming and pointing at me by my students. ( all 800 of them, and it went on intensely for two months before tapering off for the rest of the year) There was also much public staring and glaring at me, plus a lady who screamed in fright as the elevator door opened. Not to mention much yelling on the street of "Hallo!!!Hallo!!! wherever I went. My favorite was when multiple students would bow at me out of the school windows.
Aug 24, 2008 04:51
GUEST3424 I was treated like an alien from anther planet in a remote town in Northeast China. I felt uneasy when people stare at me.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you have such encounters, foreign friends?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code