Menu
Can't locate some Beijing Hostels
Jun 26, 2008 06:24
Hi,

I'm off to China in early October with a friend and we're currently planing the itinerary. Glad to have found this site and after lots of reading I'm sure our trip will be better because of what I've learnt here.

We're starting in Beijing and are looking to stay there for 6 evenings before moving on to Shanghai. There's lots to see and we're both interested in historical and architectural sights so I'm pretty sure we've got the timing about right, so it's time to commit and book accommodation. We've narrowd the list down to a few hostels, based on people's recommendation shere and on HostelWorld:

Wangfujing International Youth Hostel
Beijing Lotus Hostel
Beijing Downtown Backpackers
Red Lantern House
Alley Garden Courtyard Hostel

They all seem to be well thought of and prices similar, so the questions is location. I've manged to find some on a city map, but not others and am hoping someone can help. At the moment I'm tempted by Wangfujing and it seems nice and central, but Beijing Downtown Backpackers say they're central too - but I can't find Nanluogu Alley!

So, can anyone help me locate Nanluogu Alley on a map??

Thanks,

Dave

Jun 26, 2008 10:02
  • JABAROOTOO
They should offer maps at the websites which show you where they are located. Difficult otherwise especially if Nanluogu Alley a small Hutong it may not be marked on maps.

I stayed at the Lotus and while it a great hostel and well situated in the Hutongs for some things, it was a long way from the train station Y35 in taxi and a little hard to find, a long way from Metro stations and traffic heavy on surrounding streets that slowed buses to a crawl a lot of the time. It was quicker to walk to the metro but it was a long hike............
Jun 26, 2008 10:16
Jabarootoo,

I've looked on the web site and, unless I missed something, all they do is give text directions. Of course that's great if you're there, but I tried last night to follow the directions on my map and failed miserably! Directions like "get off the bus and cross the road, walking in the direction the bus came from..." don't help on a piece of paper!
Jun 26, 2008 10:41
  • APAULT
For China...that's explicit!
Jun 26, 2008 14:16
Um... I can see myself discovering lots of Beijing just 'cos I'll be lost!

Still if anyone can help with an idea on where Nanluogu Alley is, even if it is to say that it's between this hutong and that! I just need to know how long it'll take to walk to the Forbidden City and the Square.
Jun 27, 2008 08:58
GUEST01124 May I ask how much are these rooms for a night ? Are they very budget or midprice ?

Is it suitable for family and elderly people to stay ?
Jun 27, 2008 21:41
  • JSUMMERS83
Hostels are definitely budget, although you can probably get a budget hotel for around the same price (a private room, that is). The difference is that hostels usually always have a good English speaking staff and cater to travelers. They can help you get a tour, tickets, or just tell you how to get places in the city - in English.

The price of hostels depends on the city and time of year. Summer is the peak season with the highest prices. It also depends on how much privacy you desire. If you just want a bed in a room shared with 6 people and a community bathroom, you're in for a treat. Beds start at about 50-60RMB. If you want your own room with a private bathroom, though, be prepared to pay a little bit more.

Hostels are suitable for families, but keep in mind who they cater to - mainly backpackers and young travelers. They stay up late, have fun, and aren't known for being totally quiet (I say "they" but I also mean "I"). I saw a nursing mom bring her baby to a hostel and it just didn't work out well. She was always telling everybody to be quiet and everybody was wondering why she was even there. Keep that in mind if you're bringing really young kids or elderly who sleep early and lightly.
Jul 13, 2008 23:27
  • ELLYSE
I don't know how you missed it, but Downtown Backpackers has a map on their website: http://www.backpackingchina.com/nr/images/pic/dt11.jpg
Jul 14, 2008 01:21
Ellyse,

Errr, that's embarrassing as I honestly did look for one, but how I missed it, I do not know. Still, we've already booked with them as they seem to be well regarded.

Thanks,

Dave
Jul 14, 2008 03:07
  • ELLYSE
Can't imagine how you missed the map on the Downtown Backpackers website! http://www.backpackingchina.com/nr/images/pic/dt11.jpg
Jul 14, 2008 21:55
  • ELLYSE
Sorry for the double-post, it somehow didn't show up the 1st time.
Post a Reply to: Can't locate some Beijing Hostels
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code