Menu
Fake jewelries update!!
Apr 8, 2004 15:07
  • DAWN
Hi , This is the copy of the letter i sent to the economic and commercial counsellor of China here in Philippines. Unfortunately I was told that nothing can be done about it any comments?

I am writing this letter to seek help from your good office. I was in Shenzhen, China last December14-15 where I was part of a tour group from the Philippines.. The tour of Shenzhen was just a side trip as we actually were touring Hong kong.
As part of our Shenzhen tour, we were taken by our Chinese guide to a small museum and at the back of which exist a souvenir and jewelry shop. The staffs as well as our guide told us that the place is owned by the Government and the jewelries sold there are genuine. Given that assurance I bought 2 sets of ring and earrings for my mother amounting to HKD 1,386.

When I went back to Philippines my mother had the jewelries assessed since they liked it a lot and wanted me to buy some more when I go back there for business trips. Unfortunately all the pieces of jewelries assessed were just gold plated and had in them russian diamonds which I was told have no value at all.

My tour of your country was really wonderful had it not for the misrepresentation done by some unscrupulous people, just the same I trust that you will attend to my request for assistance.

I am enclosing with this letter copies of the warranty as well as the receipts issued by the shop. Thank you and best regards.
Jun 5, 2004 12:39
  • WAXCAR
a tv show on CCTV a couple of days ago told a story like yours, some people bought a necklace marked 99.99% gold from a jewelry shop, and was given a receipt that reads 99.99%GP, whick means that this a gold plated one, it is a typical case of cheating in jewelry shops. however when the necklace was sent to a goverment authorized laboratory to test, result showed that even the plate was not gold, so lucky, gives the customer an excuse to get it refunded. if it was a real gold plated one, nothing could be done.

i know that all this thing are done with the help of China Consumer's Association, they really helps, do not consider going to the traveller's agent, they do business for money nothing else.

while you are in shenzhen, it is suggested you contact the local consumer's association, call 0755 82102315, they provide service in weekdays. good luck.

www.cca.org.cn
Jun 8, 2004 10:12
  • DAISY
My father also met this problem, but he didn't swallow the bait. He said that these stores cheat tourists by selling fake and kaput digital cameras and vidicons besides. The price seems much cheaper,which just allures many tourists to buy. They think "so cheaper", and generally will buy two at least. In fact, the fakes aren't worth these numbers at all!
So do remember not to buy and fall in the travel trap. Generally speaking, that some travel agents arrange shopping in some so-called stores tun by local government is unreasonable!
Jun 11, 2004 13:52
  • STARIRAI
hello, dawn! i understand that you have been here in shenzhen. i am really sorry about the fake jewelry that were sold to you.

before i came here, i was told by my agent that there are a lot of similar things that happen in sz, particularly in lowu, the shopping district just beside the customs. in case you are travelling again to sz, as you have business trips to make, be very careful also of your bags and other belongings as there are also a lot of thieves there, like in most busy cities.

by the way, from my understanding of your letter, are you a filipina? i am a filipina too, and i am looking forward to seeing filipinas here in sz. this is a really nice place to live in, except that i miss the company that only your fellow pinay can give, hehe!! well, hope you be careful next time!
Jun 14, 2004 16:25
  • BENSIM
Dawn,

Unfortunately this is a scam that happens all over the world. It can be very elaborately set-up and ruins a lot of peoples holiday. Happens in Thailand particularly as well (Sapphires).

The only way that you may be able to resolve is to return the jewellery and request a refund (best through police). You may consider this more heart ache than it is worth though as it is very time consuming. The more information you have such as receipts, tour company, tour guide etc the more chance you will have of getting at least some of your money back.

Just make sure you report to Police, your local embassy and possibly tour guide books such as Frommer's and Lonely Planet (these guides will place warnings for all visitors to be aware of.

Hope you can get some resolution.

Good Luck.
Post a Reply to: Fake jewelries update!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code