Menu
I have misdemeanor (but big misdemeanor) can I still work in China?
Jun 28, 2008 00:45
  • AUTONOMY54
Hi all. I've been to China before both as a tourist and as a student. But now on the visa application they ask about a criminal record. Starting either next year or the year after I want to obtain a Z visa so I can work as a teacher in Shanghai near my wife's folks.

I have a criminal record from 2006. It is a misdemeanor but it sounds serious (stalking). I only got probation (which I am now off of). I have never had any other criminal record. Should I mark "yes" on my application? Is there a way around this? Some people have told me that if I go the Chinese embassy and get the speedy one day service that they might not check. is this a risk worth being taken? Also someone told me that misdemeanors are not "real crimes" so I could mark "no". Please help. I don't know what to do.
Jun 28, 2008 05:26
  • BARONTWANGLE
Stalking?!! And your wife still married you?!! To get a Z Visa to teach English, you need to have a degree in it. From reading your entry above, I am assuming this is something you don't have. You can teach on an F Visa without a degree, but you would have to find a job first, and let the school arrange the visa for you. If this is the case, you can apply within China, where they wouldn't check your criminal record abroad (I assume the US?).

Jun 28, 2008 08:39
  • BABER
criminal record they need from your home district police office.this is required if your passport is fresh and you never have been to china on other form dont have column for crnminal record
Jun 28, 2008 10:01
  • AUTONOMY54
By the time I go to China I will have completed my Masters in education. So I will have a degree. Do they really check your record? By the way nowhere did I see that you need a police certificate unless you are planning for the permanent visa in China. I only want to stay in China for one year. Yes I am from the U.S.

Now I have been to China 4 or 5 times before. But I will have to renew my passport by 2010. will my passport really have a stamp on it that I have a misdemeanor criminal record like the second person wrote just now?
Jun 30, 2008 03:20
  • BARONTWANGLE
They usually require you to provide your masters certificate. You say "Permanent visa" - there is no such thing. The most you can hope for is 12 months, and will then have to renew it. The only way to stay in China permanently is to get a green card. Unless you are extremely rich (can invest $25 million US) or save a top ranking minister's life, then forget trying to get one of those.

I have never heard of criminal records being noted in passports. However, if your current passport expires in 2 years (during the time when you hope to be working in China), I would get a new one before you start applying for everything. A new passport will mean a new passport number, and will cause you no end of problems if all your old documents are with your old passport number. I am talking from experience here!

Jun 30, 2008 11:31
  • APAULT
They are unlikely to check, and from what others have said, they are unlikely to object if you mention it. Personally I would not mention it. I have applied for many visas but have never had to obtain a Police Check from my home police station - I don't reckon such a thing is available in my country. The employer will not arrange a cvisa for you, but they will need to supply the paperwork to enable you to get the Z visa. When you arrive you will have to register with the police but the employer should assist with this. You do not need a Degree in English, any old degree will do!!

I assume Barwon was referring to your use of '...off of.' in his criticism of your English. I agree with him, but if they Employ Americans, they must expect to have American taught, not English. All the Chinese will be saying 'gotton' and 'he ran quick' (which any 6 year old in Britain will tell you is wrong, as you should use the adverb, 'quickly'. But China is desperate for teachers...................
Jun 30, 2008 15:06
GUEST03132 Well in other threads half the people say that I should mark "yes" because if caught I would be banned for life. and half say to mark "no". Who should I listen to?
Jul 16, 2008 01:38
  • AUTONOMY54
any other thoughts on this?
Jul 20, 2008 01:36
  • APAULT
That is up to you. I speak from personal experience.... I 'have a record' : I squeezed out a smoker's cigarette in a non smoking train.... but that constitutes asssault. I have never declared it because it was so minor and no penalty was applied. Most Chinese organisations couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery so I strongly doubt they have arrangements for data checking with your national databases.
Jul 21, 2008 01:10
  • BARONTWANGLE
Paul - I would have loved to have been there when you did that! If you do it again, can you let me know so I can be there too.
Jul 21, 2008 13:46
  • AUTONOMY54
Well a penalty was applied to me (probation, which I have now completed). Would this be different?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: I have misdemeanor (but big misdemeanor) can I still work in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code