Menu
Cantonese Music?
Jun 29, 2008 22:48
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey whats up,

Can anybody recommend some Cantonese music? Been interested in getting into the genre for a while but don't know where to start.
Jun 29, 2008 23:08
  • JIMMYB
Danny, there are many kinds of Cantonese music. What do you like to listen to, pop or folk songs, noisy or quiet? For pop songs, I suggest to listen to Jacky Cheung's songs. Really good.
Jun 29, 2008 23:12
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey Jimmyb!,

know any specific songs of his I should check out first?
Jun 29, 2008 23:21
  • JIMMYB
Hey Danny. You can try 等你回来 (Deng 3 Ni Hui 2 Lai 2). Originally, it is called 情网(Qing 2 Wang 3) in mandarin. Another is 吻别 (Wen 3 Bie 2). However, it has no Cantonese version. I suggest you listen to it. It has been reperformed by Michael Learns to Rock and its name is Take me to your heart.
Jul 1, 2008 04:16
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Thanks Jimmyb!
Jul 9, 2008 04:44
  • JIMMYB
You are welcome, Danny. By the way, you can try to find some songs of Li Ming( Leon Lai). He has sung many Cantonese songs.
Jul 14, 2008 00:05
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Thanks a lot Jimmy the recommendations. Do you listen to Nan Quan Mama?
Jul 14, 2008 01:46
  • JIMMYB
Hey, Danny. Of course I listen to Nan Quan Mama. You see, my avatar is Jay Chou. Why do I choose him as my avatar? Because I am fond of listening to his songs. For Nan Quan Mama, I know them just because of Jay Chou. Without Jay Chou, there will be no Nan Quan Mama. It is Jay Chou who has introduced them to the audience. Of course, they have talent in music. Otherwise, Jay Chou won't help them. If you watch Jay Chou's concerts, you will find that Nan Quan Mama are frequently invited to perform at Jay's concerts. By the way, Their music styles are similar, I mean, Jay and Nan Quan Mama. My favourite song of Nan Quan Mama is 香草吧噗 (Xiang 1 Cao 3 Ba 3 Pu 4).
Jul 14, 2008 12:14
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Jimmy,

I gotta tell you something funny. I haven't been a member here for a year yet but this whole time I thought the guy in the avatar was you. It had crossed my mind that it looked strangely similar to Jay Chou but I thought that since I couldn't see the other side of the picture that it may have been your real picture. pretty funny huh?

Danny
Jul 14, 2008 20:00
  • JIMMYB
Very funny. Actually not only you but also other members in this forum regard that guy in my avatar is me. To tell you the truth, I am not as handsome and fashionable as Jay Chou. However, I think that we at least have one thing in common. You see, Jay in the avatar is silent. In real life, I am silent too.

By the way, what do you think of Nan Quan Mama? Since their music style is very similar to Jay Chou, some people even say that they just "copy" Jay Chou. Do you think so?
Jul 14, 2008 22:19
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey Jimmy,

Maybe Jay Chou is very appealing to people like us who in real life are very silent and keep to ourselves.

I think Nan Quan Mama is a great group, with the addition of Lara its very unique. Such as when I first heard the duet "Coral Sea" I was blown away by the talent she possessed. I never heard the type of songs they put out before she came a long but I don't pay too much attention if they are too similar to Jay Chou or what may be going on in there personal lives that the media twists just as long as they sound good. I do notice the similarities but for me, Lara makes a huge difference and I enjoy listening. My favorite so far is "Mermaids Tear", its pretty deep.

Do you have a favorite, Jimmy?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cantonese Music?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code