Menu
Do Chinese people still wear "dark blue Mao Suit"?
Jun 30, 2008 04:34
guest3140 I visited China in 1980s. The dark blue 'Mao suit' and the olive-green People's Liberation Army uniform were the most Chinese people's outfits. The Mao Suit and "Army Uniform" were thought to be the symbols of equality and and the power of the collective over the individual.. Women had slightly more choices, but the colours were drab ( usually dark blue) and the styles unflattering. How about the situation in China, now? Do you still wear the dark blue "Mao Suit"? I saw your national leaders dress in Western suits.
Jun 30, 2008 05:08
GUEST20108 China changes great since 1980, it can be said to be a miracle.If you have an opptunity,welcome to china to look at by yourself.
Jun 30, 2008 06:34
  • SASHA
If you visit China these days, you would be pleasantly surprised... ;-)
Jun 30, 2008 08:38
  • LITTLEASIAN
Yay!

They still do. Lol.

Jun 30, 2008 21:22
  • LEONARDO
Hi Guest3140,

If you have the opportunity, you'd better revisit China to see its modern face on your own. I am sure that you will be dazzled by Chinese women's fashion collections. Welcome to China!
Jul 1, 2008 21:10
  • SUNNYDREAM
The dark blue "Mao Suit" is outdated. We Chinese girls wear colourful clothes.
Jul 2, 2008 21:01
  • FRANKENSTEIN
My grandpa and my dad used to wear the "dark blue Mao Suit". I never wore the dull uniform.
Jul 8, 2008 16:20
  • YINDUFFY
Most of the Mao suits were made at home rather than purchased. You would be hard pressed to find one in a shop or being worn on the street. When they were worn out, they were not replaced.
I think many Chinese have turned their back on what the suit represents and instead have embraced the color and variety of a Modern China.
Jul 12, 2009 05:09
GUEST68120 I don't think the surprise would be pleasant - Americanization has resulted in the cheapening of morals and values in the same way it slowly corrodes any culture that it infects.

It enters under the guise of progressiveness and slowly dominates the masses selling false dreams and images to the many allowing for achievement of only a few. Meritocracy might be a nice idea but in reality it doesn't work that way, China is more backward socially, that it has ever been during the cultural revolution.

Stop seeing things through the eyes of the west. Use your own eyes.

If you want an informed opinion, ou're best asking ordinary people rather than Shanghai princess.
Aug 31, 2009 21:12
GUESTEBONY we have been giving a projet on a conrty we have to dress up as some one from that country and make something like food for perints or speacal people
Aug 31, 2009 22:23
  • JOHNNY512
Senior people who were born before 1950 still wear the "Dark Blue Mao Suit"

Post a Reply to: Do Chinese people still wear "dark blue Mao Suit"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code