Menu
Vaidisova vs. Zheng *spoiler*
Jul 1, 2008 15:04
  • CANADAGUY
Another victory for Zheng Jie!

Congratulations once again! She defeated Czech player
Nicole Vaidisova 6-2, 5-7, 6-1 in the wimbledon quarter-finals.

She continues to set records. Zheng became the first wild card to reach a semi-final of the ladies' singles and the first Chinese woman in the last four of a Grand Slam semi-final.

Zheng is ranked 133 in the world and has beaten three seeds already, included top seed Ana Ivanovic. She will play Serena Williams in the semi-finals.

Although I would be delighted to see Zheng go all the way to win the Championship she now will face her toughest opponents, the Williams sisters.
It will be difficult enough to beat just one of them, but there is a good likelihood that if she did, she would have to face her sister Venus.

John McEnroe himself said he would stand on his hat for a week if Zheng could accompish that!

Good luck Zheng!

Jul 1, 2008 15:06
  • CANADAGUY

Jul 1, 2008 20:04
  • JIMMYB
"John McEnroe himself said he would stand on his hat for a week if Zheng could accompish that!"

I really want to see him stand on his hat. It all depends on Zheng's performance in the semi-final. As you said, even if she can beat Serena Williams, she might face her sister Venus Williams. Williams Sisters are really tough opponents. As a Chinese, I am eager to see Zheng win the champion of Wimbledon. However, the possibility is very little. If she could make it, that would be a miracle.

BTW, I am moved by Zheng Jie. She promised that she would donate all her reward to the people in the quake-hit areas. Really a good girl.
Jul 3, 2008 21:48
  • JIMMYB
Unluckily, Zheng was defeated by Serena Williams 6-2/7-6(5). The final will be staged between Williams Sisters.

Zheng left the court with smile on her face.

Jul 3, 2008 22:21
  • CANADAGUY
Yes, it is most unfortunate for Zheng.

I started to watch the match that I had recorded, but when I saw how one-sided the score was in the first set, I skipped most of it.
Then I noticed that the score was very close late in the second set, so I stopped the recording and went back to watch from the beginning of the second set.

Apart from Williams' big serve, Zheng was staying with her and actually winning most of the baseline rallies! That was remarkable.

I'm sure Zheng can learn a lot from his match and also be very proud of her accomplishment.
If she can improve her serve (which Williams took advantage of very often) and also learn to return fast serves, she will have a very good chance of winning a second match with Williams.

You could clearly see that Williams was greatly relieved when the match was over after the tie-break!

Post a Reply to: Vaidisova vs. Zheng *spoiler*
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code