Menu
No lefties in China?
Jul 3, 2008 17:47
  • CANADAGUY
During the Williams vs. Zheng semi-final match today a TV commentator said she visited China recently in preparation for the Olympics and had a ping pong match with a Chinese player.

Immediately the Chinese player noticed that she was playing left-handed.
He said there weren't any lefties in China!

How can this possibly be true with 1.3 billion people?

Jul 3, 2008 21:04
  • JIMMYB
"He said there weren't any lefties in China!"

Actually, there are many lefties in China. To tell you the truth, I am left-handed, Canadaguy. When I was in primary school, there are two left-handed pupils in my class (me and my friend). When I was in Senior high school, there were three lefties. By they way, many Chinese athletes are lefties. Badminton players Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai are both left-handed. How could he draw a conclusion that there weren't any lefties in China?

By the way, it seems that people are surprised when they saw lefties. When I was in college, an interesting thing happened on me. One day I was dining at students' cafeteria, two of my classmates came over me and greeted me cordially. Then they left and I continued to eat my noodles. Suddenly, one of them turned around and said surprisingly:" Jimmyb, you are left-handed? That's unbelievable!" I said "Yes" with a smile. She was surprised to know that I was left-handed. Very interesting!

Jul 3, 2008 21:04
  • MICHAELMA
he is joking.
Jul 9, 2008 20:31
  • KATRINA
Well, many people think that left-handed people are weird to some extent. Sometimes, they make trouble for others. Just imagine: 10 people have dinner together and one is left-handed. Where should he sit? No matter where he sit, his neighbour might feel uncomfortable because he might have some trouble when dining.

However, it is said that left-handed people are smarter than those "normal" people. Also they live longer than those right-handed people. These are what those lefties feel proud of.
Jul 9, 2008 21:14
  • CANADAGUY
Yes Katrina I agree with your observations. There is always a bit of a strange mystique about lefties.
It's hard to describe, but they seem to be a bit more independent-thinking and do things a little differently than righties.

Post a Reply to: No lefties in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code