Menu
好人
Jul 15, 2008 00:44
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Jimmy,

Is "你是个好人,但是咱们不合适 (you are a good man. But I don't think we match each other well." used when a man asks a woman out on a date and thats what she would reply with?
Jul 15, 2008 01:17
  • JIMMYB
Well, she could reply with this if she has no interest in that man. Usually, women say this to a man who pays court to her when she doesn't want to begin a relationship with that man. However, she doesn't want to refuse him directly or hurt him so that she says this to him. It is used as an euphemism.
Jul 15, 2008 02:11
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Damn that is savage, What does "pay court" mean?
Jul 15, 2008 22:38
  • JIMMYB
"What does "pay court" mean?"

Danny, I doubt if I use this phrase wrongly. How about "chase"? When you find your Snow White, you will try your best to chase her. In Chinese, it means "追或者追求".
Aug 6, 2008 20:24
  • SONIA1985
Danny,you said your father mostly use a word which in Egnlish means sort of like "not bad but not good either" ,,i guess it might be "不错(bu cuo)"...we might say"他是个不错的人”,the directly mean is "he is not that bad",,,,but when we say it ,we mean "he is a good person."
Aug 7, 2008 00:56
  • AL32
Woah! it's funny that you can associate a simple 2 characters such as "好人" to: a person must be trustworthy, of the utmost integrity, kind of like overall good character (Honest, Integrity, good ethics, kind, considerate, empathetic etc... I understand that you just want to get a feel on what it really meant on your letter, but to me, good and nice are pretty similar...

As for "the Chinese termused to describe situations or items sort of like what we would say "its so so" or "not bad" to describe people often, sort of like "not bad but not good either" that is used often..."
--> I thought that "不错(bu cuo)" meant "not bad" and I though that "so-so" was “mama huhu” [马马虎虎?: I'm not sure of the characters to use..] or even "yi ban ban": 一般般。
Aug 12, 2008 09:08
  • DARKMOMO
好人 means nice people in chinese.

as a matter of fact.we just don`t use this expression as often as we used to. cuz it sounds a little vague to the young generations in China

Aug 22, 2008 02:16
  • BLUEPRAIRIE
好人:good man;good guy
Aug 23, 2008 15:49
GUEST12811 Excuse me. your question make me confused between "nice person" and "good man". can you do me the favor to explain it in details? thanks.

好人: the person with virtues, honest, brave, not hypocritical and so on.
坏人: original meaning is opposite against 好人. But, when a female(especially a girl) say that to you, it always implys "you are a charming man! ". So when you hear someone say 坏人 to you, you shouldn't get angry immediatly, you should think over whether that really means you are bad.

there are some in common oral, such as "缺德" or "死样儿" or "熊色" or "讨厌", they are equal to "坏人". But if a girl say that to you, it implys she maybe fall love in you. congratulations !
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 好人
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code