Menu
Is 1 hour enough transfer time in Kumning?
Jul 5, 2008 13:07
guest29210 We'll be flying from Xian to Lijiang & we have to change at Kumning. We only have 1 hour for the transfer. I'm not worried about us making the plane it's the luggage I'm worried about. Will this be a problem?
Jul 5, 2008 22:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Check your luggage all the way if you can but if not then it will be tight but not impossible.

Chinese generally travel light so baggage handlers are pretty slick at unloading and there is generally only a small number of passengers waiting to collect luggage.

Restrictions on carry on luggage and the carrying of liquid in bottles have tightened up a bit so there is now a lot more checked luggage.

I haven't been in Kunming's new airport but if it is like most of the other new ones they are easy to get around and process pretty quickly.

What you can do when you land in Kunming, is ask your cabin staff to help you in the event that you have not been able to check all the way. Show them your ticket and ask for directions to you carriers desk and they will definitely rush you through.

Jul 6, 2008 01:31
GUEST29210 Thanks for the info. Here in Europe an hour wouldn't be enough time for the handlers to switch the luggage from one plane to another so I was worried we wouldn't find our luggage when we arrived in lijiang.
Jul 6, 2008 06:17
  • JABAROOTOO
China is pretty good with luggage handling. Fast and efficient.

I have never had a problem on a domestic flight and I nearly always check at least one bag. I don't fly regularly but I take half a dozen or more domestic flights each year. the only time I got rushed thru on a flight was coming back from Bangkok and our afternoon flight had been cancelled. We were hustled through without checking our luggage but this created a problem with a pocket knife that I carry. Sentimental value only and the problem was solved by putting it into a small bag and that was put directly into cargo. Why they couldn't put our packs (with the knife) into the cargo hold at that time instead is still a mystery but I didn't loose it.

a similar thing happened with a water bottle in Thailand and I had a small bag that was checked thru instead.

So just another tip, always carry a small bag you can transfer problematic things to that can be checked or stowed in cargo to reclaim when you land.

I have heard of a few cases of missing but later delivered luggage but these have usually gone astray from International connections rather than domestic.
Post a Reply to: Is 1 hour enough transfer time in Kumning?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code