Menu
Overseas media’s views on China’s new banknote without the image of Chairman Mao
Jul 9, 2008 01:04
  • LEONARDO
China will issue six million of the new banknotes to commemorate the forthcoming Beijing Olympic Games. The notable change in the new 10 yuan ($1.5) note is that the image of Chairman Mao Zedong will be replaced by the new National Stadium—Bird’s Nest. Additionally, the "Chinese Seal, Dancing Beijing" Games emblem is placed above the Bird’s Nest.

I am surprised by overseas media’s reaction on the change of the Chinese banknote backdrop. As I surfed on the internet, numerous reports on the new Olympic note permeated the internet. Their opinions and views are varied. The main argument is if the communist icon should be removed from the banknote. Regardless of their divisified opinions, almost all of them agree Chairman is a great leader. As the founder of the People's Republic of China, Mao Zedong was named by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century. That’s probably why the image of Chairman Mao dominates China’s banknotes.

What I confused me a lot was that overseas media had so diversified ideas on the small change of a banknote’s backdrop. As far as I am condern, almost all the countries have the images of some national leaders (icons) printed on the banknotes. Could the revomal of other countries’ national icons from their countries’ banknotes trigger such a fuss? By the way, who has starred on your countries’ banknotes? Washington? Queen of the United Kindom?

The new 10 yuan (73 pence) note features the new National Stadium-Bird's Nest.

Jul 9, 2008 01:06
  • LEONARDO
The reverse side features an ancient Greek marble statue of a discus-thrower, Discobolus, portraits of athletes and the numeral 2008.

Jul 9, 2008 01:24
  • LEONARDO
Sample of the old 10 yuan banknote

Most notes in circulation will continue to be like this one. Only 6 million of the new banknote will be issued to mark the upcoming Olympic Games.

Jul 9, 2008 01:26
  • LEONARDO
Sample of the reverse side of the old 10 Yuan banknote

Jul 9, 2008 06:59
  • JSUMMERS83
I think it goes to show just how important these Games are to the Chinese and how much it is being promoted by the Chinese government.

Anybody know if this is a new idea? Has any other government in the past issued special currency for the Olympics being held within their borders?
Jul 9, 2008 19:35
  • MARRIE
Leonardo, after 60 million bank notes are out of print, the market value would be or now are higher above the face value in black market.
Jul 9, 2008 21:10
  • LEONARDO
Marrie, you are absolutely right. The notes are being traded for 30 times that much.

The banknotes were not released until Wedneday morning but tens of thousands of collectors began lining up at local bank branches on Monday evening. It was a long queue!

Jul 10, 2008 04:41
GUESTKITTY Where can I exchange commemorative banknote? Do you know what are on the reverse side of the old 10 Yuan banknote? Is that the Three Gorges?
Jul 10, 2008 10:05
  • JABAROOTOO
<<<Most notes in circulation will continue to be like this one. Only 6 million of the new banknote will be issued to mark the upcoming Olympic Games.>>>>

I think it looks great but keep in mind that the numbers printed are relatively small and will probably be out of circulations in collections in a very short period of time.

It does not appear to be a permanent change, just a commemorative note.
Jul 10, 2008 10:09
  • JABAROOTOO
In Australia,
Our government mints new 50 cent, One and Two dollar coins on a regular basis to commemorate a variety of events. They all remain in circulation along with all the previous ones.

I try to collect them as they come out but don't always get a chance to pick them up, especially not in 'mint condition' which is of course the best way to collect coins and notes.
Jul 10, 2008 23:09
  • LEONARDO
>>Do you know what are on the reverse side of the old 10 Yuan banknote? Is that the Three Gorges? <<

GUESTKITTY, you gave me an inspiration. I have never noticed what the real scenery was on the backdrop the banknotes. That is an interesting subject. I will try to find out and share the info with you!
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Overseas media’s views on China’s new banknote without the image of Chairman Mao
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code