Menu
Flip flops catching on in China?
Jul 9, 2008 01:32
guest06934 Just came back from Beijing and Xian and noticed that alot of people are wearing flip flops as daily shoes. Not just the people seling stuff in markets but trendy people in designer flip flops.

I'm a self professed flip flop freak with over 20 pairs of flip flops (flats, platforms, heels, clogs) and no closed toed shoes. Just happy that the flip flop revolution in the West is catching on in China. Did'nt see any Rainbow flip flops which have been the rage in So Cal over there yet, matter of time?
Jul 9, 2008 02:06
  • LEONARDO
20 pairs of flip flops? OMG! You have great fashion collections. I like wearing flip flops, but I am not allowed to wear flip flops at the office. I wear sandals more often than flip flops every summer. At working places, wearing flip flops seem to be a little floppy.
Jul 9, 2008 04:40
  • DODGER
“Just happy that the flip flop revolution in the West is catching on in China”
Guest06934, you must be very young. Flip flops came from the east.
Dodger.
Jul 9, 2008 10:44
GUEST06934 You are absolutely correct flip flops did come form the East. But they have been popularized in the West into footwear that is fashionable, hip and part of daily life. Remember the Brown Lacrosse players visiting the White House in flip flops a few years back? Anyways it seems the circle is now complete with their emergence into fashion in China.
Jul 10, 2008 10:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Actually the Chinese have been wearing "plastic" on their feet for years because they are cheap and durable and they can be worn in the rain or the rice paddies. Many cheap 'thongs' or 'flip flops' are made of plastic but don't last so well so they have not been seen as good value for money.

But they are now taking to CROKS like 'ducks to water' at an alarming rate. If you have shares in the company you stand to make a mint.

LOVE PLASTIC (I know it is not quite plastic)
Jul 10, 2008 10:32
  • JABAROOTOO
These days China has the most amazing choices in footwear.

I have never seen anything like it and if I'm shopping for anything it is usually shoes. Just looking much of the time but it is always interesting and sometimes very amusing to see what is being sold from.

last season it was four inch heals and five inch tapered toes
This season it is lower heals and 'Patent' leather all the way.
And lets not forget the bling........
Woe is me again.
Jul 10, 2008 20:58
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Cool!

Last year, I was the only one wearing Crocs on the streets of Beijing. My friends even teased me for wearing 'slippers'. LOL!

Jul 10, 2008 21:50
  • GARYKINKADE
Is there a popular style of foot wear worn in China as in "tennis shoes" , "sneakers" ? In my ignorance , I thought flip flops were already popular.
Jul 11, 2008 00:13
  • JABAROOTOO
Gary,
A lot of unskilled workers were the green canvass style of sneakers and plastic slip ons sometimes sandals.

But shops today a re filled with everything imaginable.
Jul 11, 2008 00:38
GUEST06934 Well all the flip flops in America are made in China these days. This might be off on a slight tangent but I started this thread because I always felt there was a kind of schizophrenic attitude in Chinese Asia towards open sandals and feet. Until very recently in places like Hong Kong it was so unacceptable to wear flip flops/sandals out on the street. I mean women don't get pedicures like they do in the US where there's a pedicurist on every corner. I always felt that feet had to covered up and not to be shown off like in the west. Then the schizo side is that in China/Hong Kong there's foot massage place at every block. Not to mention a once horrible pre-occupation with foot binding in olden times. It's like that people in Asia feel a certain sensuality about feet and fashion but it's too taboo to acknowledge it. Until recently. Anyone else see this or am I out of my blond mind?
Jul 11, 2008 18:05
  • GARYKINKADE
So.....if I'm reading you right....toes were considered part of the anatomy that were not to be shown in public?......It would be embarrassing both to to the offender and the offended (or something like that).
Somewhat like a Western female being in public "topless"
How interesting, but all cultures seem to have their "mode of dress" taboos.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Flip flops catching on in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code