Menu
A college to Avoid
Jul 9, 2008 07:02
  • APAULT
Guangzhou University Sontan College in Zengcheng.

This college is recruiting Foreign English Teachers.

The jobs are suitable for a person who does not want to think, who is totally dedicated to an authoritarian system where the only permitted view is that of the Dean, and where you do not want to be part of the department and school as your supervisor will NEVER communicate with you unless there is something in it for him (filling out paperwork).

If you dare suggest an alternative to the Dean, there goes your Spring bonus and reference at the end of the contract. If you sugegst using a computer might improve things, expect the same outcome - Chinese teachers are forced to write 10 page HAND WRITTEN lesson plans. The Dean is universally disliked by staff and students. he is a bully and a dictator, all staff are traeted as professional imbeciles

Overtime payments provided for in the contract were not paid. The advertisement says you are 40 minutes from Guangzhou which is a total lie, you are 1 hour 30 minutes from central Guangzhou. It also says you have 24 hour hot water, but in fact it is for 6 hours in the evening, NEVER in the morning, and some days not even that. The old accommodation was substandard, a bedsitter wheras most colleges provide a proper apartment, but the new accom will be even worse - a TINY room with a lounge room shared with 5 others. Oh, and the utilities charges are never substantiated and are outragious.

For more info, msg me here. Easier: AVOID
Jul 9, 2008 08:38
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Paul,
Is this your last posting????Sorry to hear it's been such a bead time but good to put the news around.
Jul 9, 2008 10:10
GUEST16323 Paul, you have been around the block here in China. And, as it is year end, I can only assume that you have been at this Uni all year. Did you not see this coming? Why did you stick it out so long?
Jul 9, 2008 10:32
  • SYNGEZHAN
Not so many people are qualified for the position there.
Jul 10, 2008 11:40
  • APAULT
No it is not my last posting Jabs. Unless the powers that bein TCG decide that negaiove comments are not welcome.

On a day to day basis it was OK, but the problems got worse in the second term. Two of us came with special recommendations from our previous colleges, but we were treated as total idiots by the Dean: you must only say ''yes sir". It would be Ok if he knew what he was doing but his ideas are rooted in the Cultural Revolution. He has great credentials apparantly - teah for the past China. I am comparing with other places in China... I understand that change takes rime. I wrote an email in the second term saying I wasn't satisfied with the way we weret my 86 year old father in hospital and a week later he died. When I asked my team leader why I had been asked to come back on the Thursday when Chinese teachers did not return until late Sunday, he just laughed. (My father died a week later.)

As I said things came to a head in the second term for that and other reasonsd.... we then stay on because you might as well stay and get the travel allowance, though that was also disputed. I had been promised a receipt would not be needed, then they again said it would...Óh things change''". The FAO lady was normally on our side but in the end she was beaten down by the bully Dean.

To be honest I am appalled by the way many employers treat all staff in China - I have posted on this before. Sociallist? Communist? These words have a strange meaning in China. Yes I have become disillusioned - though I still find plenty of good things to say...even about the government!
Jul 10, 2008 13:34
  • JCNILE123
Dear Paul, My most sincere sympathy and I express my condolence about your Father passing away.

I experienced it at the beginning of this year, my Father passed away and only two months later my Mother too.

About the job experience just take it as a bad night mare that is over, God will not forget ingratitude and abuses; on the time of His choice justice will be serve.

As always, take care.
Jcnile.
Jul 15, 2008 00:11
  • APAULT
Hi JC... Sorry to hear of you double loss.

I recently mentioned a phrase to my students: 'one day you will have to meet your maker'. As you knoiw I am not a religious person, but in the broader sense I like to think that somehow we pay for our misdeeds (even thee and me).

Jul 15, 2008 21:05
  • JCNILE123
(((Hi JC... Sorry to hear of you double loss.)))

Thank you, Paul.

(((I recently mentioned a phrase to my students: 'one day you will have to meet your maker'. As you knoiw I am not a religious person, but in the broader sense I like to think that somehow we pay for our misdeeds (even thee and me).)))

... Nothing to add that can say it better.

Take care.
Post a Reply to: A college to Avoid
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code