Menu
Marriage mart in Beijing Zhongshan Park
Jul 11, 2008 02:00
  • ICEBLUE

A new marriage mart is thriving in China. The indulgent parents gathered the mart finding the life-companions for the “Little Emperors”. The marriage mart in Beijing Zhong Park is a small tip of a whole iceberg. What do you think of this “ new arranged marriage”? Should parents find the life-companions for their children?

Pallavi Aiyar a reporter at Asia Times wrote a detailed report on the marriage mart in Beijing’s Zhongshan Park. It is an article of interest and insight. The title of the report is ‘Sunday afternoon at the marriage mart’.

An interesting part of his essay:
<<It is also evident that the commodities being advertised are neither vegetables nor household goods. This is in fact a marriage mart; a unique public gathering that mixes aspects of the collective culture of communism with the resurgence of the traditional parental role in arranging marriages as well as the more modern capitalist doctrine of consumer choice.

Held every Sunday afternoon, the market is a forum for parents who have come to despair of their educated, career-driven offspring ever finding an appropriate life-partner on their own and have thus decided to take matters into their own hands. >>

Follow the link to read the whole article: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/JG10Ad02.html

What do you think of the marriage mart?

The elderly gathered at the marriage mart in Beijing's Zhongshan Park ,find life-companions for the "Little Emperors".

Jul 15, 2008 22:48
  • PANADA
Parents are out to good intention.Their love for children are selfless but they should know that marriage is not a deal. Finding a lifecompanion your childe is not like buying clothes for your child at a department store. Let's your children arrange their lives by themselves.
Jul 17, 2008 20:53
  • LEOPOLD219
My 29-year-old cousin is single. She is busy with her career and has few time to date with guys out of her companies. My aunts are very concerned with her. They ask all the relatives to introduce young guys to my cousin. My cousin is irritated with my aunts' interference.
Jul 22, 2008 05:00
GUEST5738 In the past, marriage was thought to be a very private matter. Parents would feel shamed to find the life companions for their children by public advertising.
Post a Reply to: Marriage mart in Beijing Zhongshan Park
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code