Menu
Yangzte River Hydrofoil Trip ?
Jul 15, 2008 00:40
  • JABAROOTOO
Have look at a map of these provinces. I use these and then you can plan your route better

http://www.maps-of-china.net/p_hunan_map.html
Jul 15, 2008 06:19
  • ELLYSE
Well, if this person needs a major airport to fly to Kunming, the best option would be Wuhan, wouldn't it?
Jul 15, 2008 09:21
GUEST01124 No, I need not fly. I can consider going by land and visit some places enroute.

Ok JAB, let me put a summery of my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong.

BY going with the hydrofoil from CQ, I shall stop at Wushan to do the Lesser 3 gorges tour and the next morning, do Badong - Shennon Xi tour and depart from Badong direct to Wulingyuan/Zhangjiajie by bus/train.
I will miss only one of the 3 Gorges and the Dam Project at Wuhan.

I will still 3 days, similar to a 3 Gorges Passenger/Tourist Boat but the plus side is I get to do 2 side tours(less 3 gorges & Badong), but with the usual 3/4 days Yangtze Tour, I will not be able to do both the 2 side tours.
Jul 16, 2008 10:05
  • JABAROOTOO
That's kinda correct.

But the Dam project is upstream of Yichang. Wuhan is another four hours by bus, downstream.

The cruise ships do only one of these gorge trips and they also stop at a couple of other smaller sites one of which is Ghost City which I think is grossly over-rated anyway so you are not missing anything. Couple of other spots you can see as you go by anyway.

Bus from CQ to Wanzhou 3/3.5 hours
HF from Wanzhou to Wushan is perhaps 3 hours
HF from Wushan to Badong is about 2 I think.

Can't remember without looking at maps but price of ticket will give you some idea.

Not sure how long the bus to Wulingshan/Zhangjiajie will take but if it is more than 6 hours then split the trip somewhere.
Try to have a good map for referencing things like this. Even a copy of the ones I gave you a link too as they have the Chinese Characters which are useful when there is not much English spoken.

Hope this helps you make a decision on which way to go. You should enjoy it. I certainly did. It's great to get off the beaten path a little and to go overland.
Jul 16, 2008 10:08
  • JABAROOTOO
From Badong remember there is no train, only the bus. You'll need to go onto Yichang for the train
Jul 17, 2008 03:21
GUEST01124 Thanks JAB, you have been very kind and helpful.
Sep 4, 2008 23:59
GUEST20245 Hi can you advise where to purchase the HF tickets from Wanzhou ? I will be taking an overnight train from Chengdu to Wanzhou so will arrive there around 8am and plan to take the 10am HF from Wanzhou to Yichang

The hotel in Chengdu doesn't know how to purchase them and there is an online site that sells them but it's double the price and in US$.

Can I buy the tickets at Wanzhou on the day I arrive or will it be sold out?

Thanks!
Sep 5, 2008 11:06
  • ELLYSE
I think buying on-the-spot should be fine.
Nov 27, 2008 09:30
GUEST38426 Thanks for all your great responses on the hydrofoils!

One question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere online... do the hydrofoils run in December? If so, what is the schedule like?
Nov 28, 2008 21:37
  • YINMEI
Yes, the hydrofoil runs 9 times everyday, but only 5 times goes from Wanzhou to Yichang. The schedule is as following: 07:30,08:30,10:00,11:45,12:40.

Cheers!
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Yangzte River Hydrofoil Trip ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code