Menu
Which are the best lakes and surrounding here ?
Jul 12, 2008 06:12
guest01124 I am planning to Yunnan and find that all these 3 important cities hae a lake as a major attraction:

Kunming - Dian Che lake;
Dali - Erhai lake;
Lijiang - Lugu Lake

Do I need to travell all ? Which one is a not to miss and which is best to skip if I am short of time ?
Jul 13, 2008 08:04
  • JABAROOTOO
Go to Lugu lake for something stunningly beautiful and culturally very different.
Jul 13, 2008 12:37
  • DAVEC
Erhai lake is lovely if the weather is good, its my favourite of the 3. If you stay in Lijiang about 30 mins north is a fresh water lake, I couldnt find it on maps but taxi said it was La Shi Hai or similar. Maybe someone can correct my spelling and tell us what its name is.
Jul 13, 2008 22:44
  • ELLYSE
Lugu Lake is probably the most recommended, but it's also the most difficult to get to. How many days do you have, and what are the other destinations that you would be going to?
Jul 14, 2008 04:48
GUEST01124 I will be going through all the 3 cities mentioned around the Mid-Autumn Festival with 6 to 8 days in Yunnan. I can afford only a day trip to the lake and probably only choose 2 out of the 3 unless I need to pass by to my next destination and need not backtrack.
Jul 14, 2008 08:05
  • ELLYSE
If you go to Lugu Lake, you'd need to allow around 3 days including travel time there and back.
Jul 15, 2008 08:38
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Easy to make a choice, if time allowed, especially around a mid autumn full moon :

Dianche : * *
Erhai : * *
Lugu : * * * * *
Jul 15, 2008 08:59
GUEST01124 What is there to see in Lugu exactly ? My LP guide mentioned Lige and Luoshui without much highlights. I will only consider it as a way to Chengdu via Xichang instead of coming back down to Kunming or the long way via Tibet Hwg. How much minimun time is required to stay at Lugu in order to see the best part ?

If Lugu got 5 :* * * * *, how many * will you give to Jiuzhaigou, Dali, Emeishan & Leshan ?

I need to evaluate well as I have only altogether 17 days for my trip so some places need to be sacrificed.Thanks.
Jul 15, 2008 22:50
  • ELLYSE
I can only judge for Jiuzhaigou and Dali, since I haven't been to the other two. I would give Jiuzhaigou 5 and Dali perhaps 2 or 3.
Lugu... the lake, of course!
Jul 16, 2008 01:28
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Depending on how you do it… it should be an interesting hike through Lugu Lake to Yading-Daocheng, too then onto Litang, Kangding until Chengdu) but Yading-Daocheng was closed last year

There are many possibilities between Kunming and Chengdu

=> http://chinabackpacker.com/old/itineraries/km_cd.htm

the home site of this community also gives travel and cultural info about Jiuzhaigou, Ermei and Leshan. They are very classic tourist spots in China. Again depending on what your interests are…. If you don’t get enough time in your itinerary (also the current road conditions should be very different from what is mentioned in the LP…), you may all skip together. Anyway Jiuzhai in Sept hasn’t yet its full autumn colours
Jul 16, 2008 05:14
GUEST01124 You mean Jiuzhaigou is not at its best in Sept ? Which part of the year is the best time then ? I can prepare for another trip.

Which of these places do you think is not so suitable in Sept ? If I don't do Jiu & HL, I think I can cover those places below but rush.

Kunming,Xisiangbanna, Dali, Lijiang, TLP, Zhondian, Deqin, Chengdu, Emeishan, Leshan, Yangtze, Zhangjiajie or and back to Kunming.

Is there any better place that I should add or omit along the way ?

Someone in Tales of Asia mentioned Dali is not so good. Shall I skip it to save a day for another place ? But a Chinese guidebook gave high ratings for some places around it.
Post a Reply to: Which are the best lakes and surrounding here ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code