Menu
Is it common to address people by there physical features?
Jul 14, 2008 01:14
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Is it common in Chinese Culture to call people by there physical features? I always hear funny names like 秃头人 (Bald Guy), 老人 (Old Man), 长的鼻子人 (Long Nose Man) and mean ones like 肥胖孩子 (Fat Kid) ??
Jul 15, 2008 22:55
  • PANADA
It is rude to address people by their physical features ,particularly the undesirable physical features.
Jul 16, 2008 00:43
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hi Panda,

Its quite obvious that it would be rude to address someone by the way they look yet what I am asking is whether this is common in Chinese culture? I am Chinese and sometimes I find it offending that they do this and researching whether it is common.
Jul 16, 2008 23:07
  • LEONARDO
As far as I am concern, it is uncommon to address people by their physical features. At least,well-educated people seldom do this. I am not sure how many of my countrymen address other people that way.

Well, Danny, " 老人" is a somewhat neutral term as I understand. For instance, if a friend wants to ask you to send his regard to your parents, he may say:" please send my regard to your parents" (In Chinese," 请代我向老人问好"). (Suppose your parents are senior citizens, the addressing works)
Jul 19, 2008 04:47
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hi Leonardo,

Thanks so much for contributing. I was wondering, what province are you from?
Jul 21, 2008 20:02
  • LEONARDO
Shaanxi Province! So I can't speak Cantonese! Hehe!
Jul 22, 2008 23:10
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Leonardo,

So you speak Mandarin right? I should have included whether it was common for Cantonese speakers rather than just Chinese culture in general.
Jul 23, 2008 01:17
  • LEONARDO
Yea, I can speak Mandarin.
Aug 6, 2008 20:12
  • SONIA1985
LEONARDO , culture in different provinces of China are quite different,in my hometown,it is not polite to call a person"老人(old man)"..when we say:" please send my regard to your parents",we will just say"请代我向叔叔阿姨问好(please send my regards to unti and uncle"
Aug 6, 2008 20:13
  • SONIA1985
Danny,i wish i could speak Cantonese!
Aug 7, 2008 20:36
  • LEONARDO
Quote:
>>LEONARDO , culture in different provinces of China are quite different,in my hometown,it is not polite to call a person"老人(old man)"..when we say:" please send my regard to your parents",we will just say"请代我向叔叔阿姨问好(please send my regards to unti and uncle" <<

Sonia, yup, the culture and customs vary from one province to another. We also say "请代我向叔叔阿姨问好", when we mean to "please send my regards to your parents(aunt&uncle).

Well, as I said to Danny in the previous post, if a friend wants to ask you to send his regard to your parents, he may say:" please send my regard to your parents" (In Chinese," 请代我向老人问好"). (Suppose your parents are senior citizens, the addressing works).If my parents reach their mid-70s, they won't mind if someone addresses them as" 老人".
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it common to address people by there physical features?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code