Menu
Is she 'a thief' or 'a great mom'?
Jul 14, 2008 04:06
  • SUMMERSNOW
A woman was caught when she stole meat ast a supermarket. She said she stole meat to fed her son better. When a journalist on the spot tried to film her, she tried to knock her head on the wall. She was afraid that her son would lose face when he saw her on TV. The case sparks a hot debate. The Pros said she was a great mom she tried to give everthing in her power to her son. The Cons said poverty should not be an excuse for theft. What do you think of her?

Jul 14, 2008 09:28
  • APAULT
Surely she is both.
Jul 14, 2008 16:41
  • DAVEC
A thief is a thief, they can all find some reason for doing it.
Jul 14, 2008 17:49
  • GARYKINKADE
Question.....did this problem(of theft) also exist when the economy was controlled more in the past by the state(or government)?
Jul 14, 2008 18:20
  • MARRIE
Gary, People from Cuba and / or North Korea would let you more.
Jul 14, 2008 21:08
GUEST6734 It is immoral to use the stolen money to feed your kid! If I were her son, I would rather die than to be fed on the stolen meat. A great mom is someone who not only provides food for her son but also set a moral role model for her son! I
Jul 14, 2008 22:20
Don't judge people until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Sometimes you people take this honor stuff just too far. What kind of woman would let her child go hungry just to preserve her "honor" . My children are the greatest gift I have ever been given and I will do ANYTHING to preserve their well being. I am not advocating people steal but there are times when things are desperate as I have seen with some women in China. In such a circumstance the woman who sacrifices the well being of her children to preserve honor is truely immoral.
Jul 14, 2008 23:51
  • JABAROOTOO
This is truly a sad case.

However let's ask

Why was she stealing meat - a somewhat more expensive food item that may not give her child the nutrient that she believes it will.

Could she not feed him better by giving him a regular supply of fresh eggs, vegetables and other legumes and beans, all much cheaper than the meat and arguably far more nutritious.

Secondly, when caught on camera she became aggressive with the cameraman/woman who tried to film her. Not a pleasant experience but one that she not added assault to her list of offences.

Now that she has been caught she is likely to be sentenced to 'time' in prison - time away from her child or a fine which she can ill afford to pay.

I know welfare in China is not comprehensive but a better solution would be to help better inform young mothers about health and nutrition for themselves and their children.

Stealing meat is not the answer..

Jul 16, 2008 04:53
GUEST436 She was a desperate mom. You can say she broke the law but you shouldn't say she is an immoral mom. Her stealing was driven by "Motherhood". I feel sympathy for her because I am a 4-year-old boy's mom.
Jul 16, 2008 11:58
  • SETH
Where was the woman's family in all this? Her husband? If she was truly alone in the world with only her son and nothing and no one, before the situation got so bad she should have seen the appropriate state agency for destitute people.

Also, like Jabarootoo asked, why not try for something more nutritious? Also, I wonder where she and her son would live during the cold and rainy months? Did she try to steal a gourmet piece of meat or ground beef or lesser quality meat? It sounds like a 'story' made up to cover her being a thief.

Also, what about the son? If she is in jail awaiting trial, who is looking after the son?

All the 'facts' don't really add up.
Jul 21, 2008 21:16
GUESTTINE Yup, that's a moral dilemma. A similar scenario: suppose you were a virtuous mother and you were caught up in predicament, your children were at the edge of starvation, numerous food stocked in your neighbor's house and the door was open and nobody watch was there. What did you do? If I were a mom, I would steal the food to feed my children. Since if the rich neighbor is benevolent, they wouldn’t let your situation worsen to that extent. I thought the mom was helpless so that he stole the meat. Motherhood drove them cross the moral boundary.
Post a Reply to: Is she 'a thief' or 'a great mom'?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code