Menu
The New Yorker mocks Obama
Jul 16, 2008 04:15
  • JOHNNY512
The New Yorker released the satirical cover cartoon about the Democratic presidential candidate Obama. On the cover, Obama's wife was portrayed as a messy woman carrying AK47. Obama said ' The New Yorker' was insulting Muslim.
In the furnace was the American national flag. The New Yorker was being scolded by both Democrates and Republicans.

Jul 16, 2008 08:10
  • GARYKINKADE
Yes.....this does seem to be carrying it a bit too far.
However, before this campaign is done I'm sure both parties (Republican and Democrat) will be guilty of excesses.
The public relation and advertising agency corporations are just loving this. The $$$ just keep rolling in.
This campaign will be the most expensive yet.
For those of you who are interested in such "bull" please refer to "The Public Integrity":.....................
http://www.publicintegrity.org/projects/entry/277/
"The Buying of the President 2008"
Jul 16, 2008 20:18
  • JCNILE123
...He, he,
Jul 16, 2008 20:19
  • JCNILE123
It is just satire, that’s all.
Jul 16, 2008 21:19
  • DODGER
I’ve seen far worse cartoons than this one Johnny.
It’s my view that as long as you come from the country in question you are legitimately able to take the piss out of your government. Take a look (if you can) at some of the British and European papers. It helps keep them honest. Yes, oxymorons as far as politicians are concerned.
Cheers, Dodger.
Jul 16, 2008 22:27
  • LEONARDO
Oopus!

How has Obama fought back? I heard that the New Yorker even dubbed Obama "Osama".
Jul 17, 2008 21:06
  • LEOPOLD219
How can they use the national flags to joke about? National flag is tha emblem of a country' s honor.
Jul 20, 2008 08:45
  • YINDUFFY
Way back in 1735, when we were just colonies of the British Crown, a publisher of a weekly newspaper criticized the King's appointed Governor of the New York Colony. John Peter Zenger was arrested and put on trial. His acquittal was of great historic significance and since then, throughout our history critics have been free to comment of political figures. Many great American political figures have been ridiculed in cartoons and print while they were in office and it is sometimes disturbing to look back at how poorly cartoonists treated Presidents.
The New Yorker front page cartoon is only a continuation of this tradition, like it or not. If elected, he will see himself portrayed in even worse caricatures. I think the matter of selecting our future President should be a more serious matter but by being outrageous, the cartoonist draws attention to himself. I'm sure that the magazine got a lot of free international publicity out of this affair!
Jul 20, 2008 23:08
  • JCNILE123
(((How can they use the national flags to joke about? National flag is tha emblem of a country' s honor)))

That is why it is satire, if you pay close attention to the scene and the burning flag itself, you can notice it to have only seven white and red stripes, and no more than ten stars; US flag have plenty more than ten stars, something close to fifty stars.

The flag Mr Obama Hussein is burning in the scene it is not the American flag.
Jul 21, 2008 21:54
  • PANADA
The flag Mr Obama Hussein is burning in the scene it is not the American flag.

Hello JCNILE123,
The report says the burning flag is American national flag with stars and stripes. The picture is unclear.
Post a Reply to: The New Yorker mocks Obama
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code