Menu
What do you think of George F. Kennan ?
Jul 17, 2008 04:40
  • JOHNNY512
George Kennan put forward the strategy of 'Containment', which becomes the doctrine for US foreign policy during the Cold War. It is also said that George Kennan had been against the 'Containment' soon after he had proposed the doctrine. Some military researchers blamed George Kennnan for the longstanding Cold War between the East and the West. What do you think of George Kennan?
Jul 17, 2008 13:18
  • GARYKINKADE
Just a quick response....
George Kennan wanted to contain the Soviet influence(major threat after WW2) thru economic means and rebuilding of other countries infrastructures.
Paul Nitze and John Foster Dulles wanted a more military stance and if possible drive the Soviets back to their borders, but still based on the Kennan doctrine of containment. A conflict arose between Kennan and Nitze ( I guess because of the use of militaty force if necessary)
This is somewhat of a flimsy response and a lot has been left out, Yinduffy... go for it.
Blame George Kennan? Naw...it was bound to happen whether him or someone else.
Jul 17, 2008 20:20
  • DODGER
Johnny,
I remember just how aggressive the USSR was during the Cold War period.
If there had been no attempt to contain this threat and no clear message sent it could easily have turned into a Hot War.
I have personally witnessed incidences that could easily have turned very nasty. Fortunately cool heads prevailed. Ours not theirs.
I’m sure, as Gary has said that Yinduffy will be able to supply more facts.
Dodger.
Jul 17, 2008 21:05
  • MARRIE
wow, military forum is becoming hotter and hotter, where is Bob (Yinduffy). Chinese stance was neutral on cold war and i heard that russia went too far in terms of developing top military technology at the expense of people's well-being.
Jul 18, 2008 11:43
  • YINDUFFY
I was reading about the development of he Cold War and the Korean war only two days ago but I don't recall the name George F. Kennan coming up. I meant to review the materials before posting but have not had the opportunity.
I do believe that U.S. policy was and always will be a collaborative effort and input from many "experts" will be considered by the President. The President deals with International issues and has that sole responsibility - with the exception that all international treaties have to be ratified (approved) by the U.S. Senate.
From 1945 to 1950 there were many international crises from Greece to Malaysia and the U.S. public was weary of war and not interested in the problems of people in far-off lands. We were glad to dispose of war surplus equipment to allied countries. The Soviet Union on the other hand was interested in spreading its influence and they too gave away surplus military equipment.
As a political matter, it was recognized that we could not, and would not support and agressive campaign to drive the Soviets out of Europe. We agreed to assist friendly countries when attacked but we would not initiate anything.
We could only try to "contain" the spread of Communism. We failed in some countries and their people suffered.
Jul 18, 2008 23:40
  • COOLSPRINGS
sounds like bush admin. spokesman of foreign affairs...
Post a Reply to: What do you think of George F. Kennan ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code