Menu
Three weeks in China - a quick reflection on pollution, the Olympics and Beijing/Shanghai
Jul 18, 2008 18:25
  • DOINKER
Are you coming to China for the Olympics? Read this article and it is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/fears-of-a-nofun-olympics-in-beijing-20080718-3hkb.html

I have just been in Beijing for two weeks staying with friends who have lived there for many years. This article from an Aussie paper is only a part of what is going on in Beijing - the changes leading up to the Olympics are terrible for locals in particular and visitors. So many restrictions. As for visa restrictions for local working expats and for visitors - the stories are mind-boggling. So many have been refused.

By the way - pollution in Beijing is so bad. Absolutely terrible. Sights in Beijing amazing and the Great Wall at Simatai (?) was fabulous - on a clear day it must be astounding! Do the flying fox there - wonderful.

On a day long trip from Beijing to Shanghai by train last week I was amazed that the heavy pollution was obvious all the way - non stop in fact. Often visibility down to a kilometer or less. Big problem. Train trip was excellent (2nd class) though the main reason to do it was to see the countryside - didn't happen. Grey and dull looking all the way.

I am glad I have had these past three weeks in China but am glad I am out of here for the Olympics.

Shanghai is amazing in all ways except for the bloody guys who sell watches EVERYWHERE! I have been hounded constantly. The sights though are wonderful (through the pollution) with fabulous restaurants and shopping. People are lovely. Taxis and trains excellent. Crossing roads is scary. Starbucks everywhere which I think is bad but they, along with all other coffee places are full of locals having fun. The French Concession area is fascinating to wander about.
Jul 19, 2008 07:43
  • YINDUFFY
It was one year ago that we visited Beijing before moving on to Xinjiang. We went then to avoid the Olympic crush. My wife worked in a Govt. bureau there from about 1984 to 1994 and she was frustrated at how crowded the city had become. With the crowds came the gridlocked traffic and trash mess. (Ah! China! I can smell it now!)
My wife haggled a great deal on a bus trip to Badalang's Great wall but we had to fight the crowds again once there.
I shudder to think of how things are now that the Olympics are three weeks away. But maybe the campaigns to clean up have been working. Maybe the roads will be better during the Olympics. Maybe there will be more busses and with the factories shut for the time the air will improve.
Regarding the Olympics, I read that the CEOs of a great many companies and corporations will be attending the Olympics. They want to show their faces and engender good will in China and not be embarrassed later when asked " Did you come to our Olympics?" when at business negotiations.
These CEO's all expect to be treated like big shots and get good accomodations and seating at games. However, they won't all get the treatment they expect because so many will come. This is in addition to Political visitors.
Jul 31, 2008 06:23
  • BLUEYANKEE44
Its a miracle,you were in China for three weeks,and its wonderfull for you,and happy you loved it.You mentioned Tip of the Iceberg.I believe you should leave it up
to people whom actually see the smog as smog,and not as Fog.You have no idea,when the last time you looked into the evening skies,and what did you see,or
remember.Was the Moon visible,did you see one star or twenty.Was the wind warmer at night or hot in the day. Its a hope you also observed some of these things.
Just for the questions,availability,what did you see you liked.You have more negatives than positives.Its not a thing for someone to be a Authority on the Beijings
Olympics,when most of what you speak of is Hearsay.
Post a Reply to: Three weeks in China - a quick reflection on pollution, the Olympics and Beijing/Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code