Menu
Better to raise a daughter than a son
Jul 31, 2008 05:16
  • AL32
I think that Chinese culture and moral values (just like it's economy) are now changing extremely rapidly. Refering to a 10 year old survey on preference on having boy or girl baby would definately not get the same kind of answer today.

I for myself do not care about the monetary aspect of it and will love one or the other. But to be truely honnest, I'd slightly prefer having a boy, just for the name baring; to have my family name continue to 'survive' after me...

Family financial pressure is a sad thing yes, but at the same time, again, values and life conditions are chainging too: my girlfriend for example owns her own appartment... she did not put any extra financial pressure on her parents that a boy wouldn't...
Jul 31, 2008 22:52
  • SUNNYDREAM
"But to be truely honnest, I'd slightly prefer having a boy, just for the name baring; to have my family name continue to 'survive' after me"

AL32, your thought is consistent with the older generation of Chinese. Passing down the family name is thought to be an important duty of a filial son. You thoughts are more of Chinese than west.
Aug 5, 2008 22:00
  • SONIA1985
I prefer to have 2 kid,a daughter and a boy..lol
Aug 5, 2008 23:28
  • LIONPOWER
What will you do, if you got two daughter ?
Aug 7, 2008 23:59
  • AL32
I will love her just has much.
I will probably lose a few more hair when she'll have her first boyfriend.
I'd probably have to work harder to make more money in preparation for the time when she gets old enough and wants to go shopping with mommy!
Who said girls cost less to raise!!????

hehe! ;-P
Aug 8, 2008 02:10
  • JOHNNYWILL
I wanna quote a joke titled "Cost of marriage":

A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get married?"
And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying."

To be a father is a feat for every man, no matter your baby is a boy or a girl, it's not an easy job for you, unless you are an irresponsible father.
Aug 8, 2008 04:41
GUEST1301 I hope my wife give birth to a baby girl. Boys are naughty in the childhood.
Aug 10, 2008 22:16
  • ICEBLUE

"A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get married?"
And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying."

Johnnywill, it's a good joke. The 'cost of marriage' has to be paid in a lifetime. No wonder so many men and women are choosing to be single. They fear the cost of marriage.
Aug 11, 2008 05:04
  • AL32
What I heard before was: "it's not the marriage that is expensive; it's the divorce" ;-)
Aug 14, 2008 14:55
Your'e not wrong there Al, although in fairness to my ex-wife she didn't want too much off me, it was the child support agency that make my life a misery
Alan
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Better to raise a daughter than a son
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code