Menu
Romans in China
Jul 26, 2008 16:51
  • DAVEC
I recently caught a small glimpse on a documentary that said there was evidence the Romans got as far as China and even had a village/town/city there. Even today the people who live there have western features more than asian.

Id this true? can anyone give me more information about this and give me an idea of where I can read more about it.
Jul 26, 2008 16:53
  • GRIZ326
I saw the piece a while back, unfortunately I do not recall the name of the program. Is it true? It could be another case of some "scholar" trying to make a name for himself, like the recent discovery of an "untouched tribe" in South America.
Jul 26, 2008 19:53
  • DODGER
I read a book about this ages ago. In the end there seemed to be no clear evidence.
Do you recall the photo of a young Afghan girl on the cover of Time magazine some years ago? She looked very European.
My theory is that it was a group of traders who had stayed a set up a community somewhere along the Silk Road. This was where this Roman village was allegedly found.
Dodger.
Jul 27, 2008 00:08
  • APAULT
Old English proverb: One swallow doesn't make a summer.

(swallow: the bird, not swallow: as in swallow food)
Jul 27, 2008 06:48
  • JABAROOTOO
You can read a book Called 'Black Horse Odyssey" by Australian author and adventurer David Harris who was intrigued with the idea and researched and wrote an account of his experience in search of 'a lost city of Romans.

He believes he found it.
Aug 2, 2008 03:06
  • SONIA1985
Davec,I once read on newspaper that In Yongchang county,Gansu Province,Zhelai village,there is 400 people resident there,200 of them have western features more than asian.But they speak Chinese.

In Han dynasty,there is a county called "li qian county" where thousands of Roman kriegies was inhabitted,archaeologist proved that this county is what been called Zhelai village nowadays.

But i have also watch news from 1 channel from hongkong ,it said somewhere of Xinjiang Province,there is also a village while all the people there are with western features ,i forget where exactly is the name of the village.Anybody heard about that?
Aug 3, 2008 01:55
  • DAVEC
I have tried searching online but cant find any info. Everything leads to the 'black horse odyssey ' book which is out of print and available through amazon for about the same price as a small house.
Aug 5, 2008 02:37
  • SONIA1985
i think there 's little change to review it
Aug 6, 2008 20:30
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Yea, I watched a documentary about it. They unearthed mummies that had red and blond hair. I wasn't sure if they were Romans or some other European people. There's nothing surprising about it since humans have been migrating from Africa to every part of the world for thousands of years.
Post a Reply to: Romans in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code