Menu
Mosquitos?
Jul 29, 2008 03:35
guest55228 What is the general consensus from our hardy expat colleagues regarding mosquitos and malaria in China? I travel to Guangzhou and so far have had no more than a couple of bites. Next month I am taking an epic journey to Heilongjiang province, 12 hours train journey plus 2 hours (unknown transport ) from Harbin, in a heavily forested area. As a blood donor in the UK I am banned from giving blood for 6 months after each trip to GZ (which means I'm pretty much permanently banned) because of malaria risk. Do expats take precautions like anti malaria drugs? I understand that side effects can be a little unpleasant.
Jul 30, 2008 08:45
GUEST42116 I had lived in China for many years and never seen anyone actually affected by malaria.
It does occur in some parts of China occasionally (usually in the south), but I am sure it is not an issue in Heilongjiang.
Jul 31, 2008 01:10
  • JABAROOTOO
I've been here five years too and travel extensively, get bittne occasionally, especially at home in the evenings and sometimes on the road but never experienced any problems.

You can carry a little 'green' bottle of very smelly oil (by at local pharmacy) that works wonders as a mosquito repellant and I've also heard that Listerine Mouthwash does the same job. Both these are cheap with no serious side-effects.

Enjoy your 'epic'..............
Jul 31, 2008 12:35
I admit I was concerned about the fact I took no precautions before either of my visits to China, my late father suffered from Malaria during his time in Burma during world war 2 and I remember seeing the effects Malaria caused him over the years, thankfully I was lucky with my timing of my visits, maybe next time I will take precautions to be on the safe side.
Alan
Jul 31, 2008 14:17
GUEST02455 Thanks guys, I think I will pass on the drugs and carry on as before. Here is a useful site, for travellers; http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/malaria.htm
Jul 31, 2008 20:13
  • JIMMYB
Jabar, I guess that what you said is 风油精 (Feng 1 You 2 Jing 1). It is very useful to drive mosquitos away.

Aug 4, 2008 03:10
  • APAULT
There are other diseases worse than Malaria, like Dengue. However there are not all that many mosquitoes if you take the basic precautions. From an itch point of view there are some terrible little beggars the size of a pinhead in the deep south that itch for days and are much worse than mozzies
Post a Reply to: Mosquitos?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code