Menu
Price Rise
Jul 29, 2008 07:08
  • SAILOR10
hello friends,
i'm planing to be in guangzhou at the end of august for business,
been told that due to the olympics, there will be a rise in cost of living(hotel,etc)
can someone advise me if thats applies to guangzhou and should i postpone my trip for after the games?
thanks in advance
Jul 29, 2008 08:04
  • ELLYSE
Guangzhou shouldn't be affected too much by the Olympics. However considering the difficulties of obtaining visas, it would be better to postpone non-essential travel to anywhere in China till after the Olympics, or better still after the 2nd week of October.
Jul 31, 2008 09:31
Ellsye,

When you say difficulty in obtaining visas, are you hearing of people being refused, even if they have prrof of accommodation and travel in/out of the country?

Regards,

Dave
Jul 31, 2008 10:10
  • ELLYSE
Well, getting full accommodation bookings and such is already enough hassle, especially for backpackers who plan to stay maybe 30 days here but who have no definite plans!
Jul 31, 2008 17:57
Ah, understood! As I'm not backpacking I (naturally) don't think along those lines. We're finding it hard enough to get all the required paperwork, and we know where we're going to be! I think that people backpacking must be having a very difficult time right now.
Aug 2, 2008 03:13
GUEST29210 I think it probably depends where you go for a visa. We went to the Chinese consul in Milan this week & only needed our return plane tickets & 1st hotel booking in Beijing. I phoned them beforehand & on the phone the lady told me I needed my return tickets & hotel bookings in China. When I explained that we would be deciding our final itinerary only when we were there she said that as long as we had at least our 1st hotel booking that would be enough & it was we have to pick up our visa on Tusday.
Aug 2, 2008 08:48
  • APAULT
I have heard of teachers with renewed contracts being refused visas!
Aug 2, 2008 08:51
  • APAULT
Oh and a german who reports friends could only come on a package tour, no independent travel!.Several travellers have said they booked hostels on-line and accepted the loss of deposit. I would recommend waiting until after the Paralympics, if possible, tho the weather will start cooling in the north, soon after that.
Post a Reply to: Price Rise
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code