Question re: Foreign Experts Certificate
Jul 29, 2008 17:50
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Dec 17, 2005
  • Status: offline
I have been asked by my university employer to leave my Foreign Experts Certificate with them for "safekeeping". I have suggested that they keep a photo copy, leaving the original with me, but they have so far refused. The question is: should I, or should I not, persist in this matter, or should I just back off, and keep a photocopy myself?
Jul 30, 2008 01:04
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
  • Status: Offline
In my limited experience with local officials (obtaining a drivers license etc) they have photo copied the originals and then kept the copies not the originals.
Years ago some hotels did insist on keeping your passport until you checked out.

I would suggest that their request is based upon the same underlying tactic….control.
Jul 30, 2008 09:21
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Jul 4, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Keep it yourself.
You need it to change RMB when you are ready to leave China.
You can also use if for ID.

The University should only receive it back at the end of your tenure although I have several of them now only this latest employer kept mine in June after extending my FRP they do everything by the book.

It is your document, not thiers. You can explain that you are capable of looking after your own passport so looking after this document should pose no more a a problem as far as safely goes.

I've never been asked to relinqish mine except in the above mentioned circumstance. I no longer use it for exchanging money since it is such a lot of paperwork involved. .
Jul 30, 2008 10:21
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Dec 17, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Thanks for the replies Dodger and Jabarootoo. I know that it is a control issue, and I have told them that it is my document, not theirs, and they can have a photocopy. This is my third year at this university, and I am told that this is a new policy. Anyway, I will keep it, and hopefully not incur any problems by doing so.
Aug 4, 2008 03:15
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
I believe that you are required to return it when u cease employement, otherwise keep it for teh reasons Jabs says. However you run into the general issues I have commented on in other threads. You become known as not 'harmonious' which is their way of saying you don't give in to arbitrary rules and authoritarian directions. Then you run the risk of being penalised... unofficially of course.... trouble getting travel money, no reference when you leave etc.
Apr 6, 2011 00:03
GUEST98925 Indeed this is true. The contract is often ignored by private school when they want to ignore it and used only when it is in their favour! 2 years teaching in schools here and talking with many foreign teachers teaches you to beware private schools. On paper they offer more money, but will often lie and cheat if it means they can steal from you! Really China can be that bad and there is no one here to learn to if it is a school in a small city where they have "some friends in police & local government". Finding out how China works at a local level can be painfull for foreigners! My Advice: Avoid small cities if you can and never work in towns!
Jun 27, 2011 20:38
GUEST69122 Has anyone tried using their foreign experts cert for air travel?
Jun 29, 2011 01:36
GUEST25169 I have renewed my expert card, book, for at least 10 years...never had to leave it with anyone...never been asked to show it...only at annual visa renewal. I have never used it in buying airfare nor anything else. It is just a qualifying document the PSB needs to see to verify your reason to exist. but NO, I would NEVER leave it with is YOURS.
Jun 5, 2012 08:07
GUEST42158 There seems to be a new rule - they wont renew it if you have been teaching in China for 5 continous years
Jun 15, 2012 04:51
GUESTHUNGRY ... I have also discovered that here in Sichuan Province one cannot get an FEC if you are 60 or older.
Jun 16, 2012 07:04
GUEST89399 Foreigners generally are not allowed to work past the Chinese workers retirement age.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Question re: Foreign Experts Certificate
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code