Menu
hotel reservations for visa application?
Jul 29, 2008 18:12
guest24311 hello!
my boyfriend and i are planning a september/october trip to china, and we're working on the visa application-- and we find that they need hotel reservations. how have people dealt with this? obviously as a backpacker i don't feel like you plan ahead as much to have your reservations to show them, does anyone know if they accept some reservations but not every single night being in country?
any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks!
Jul 29, 2008 22:41
  • BARONTWANGLE
The best advice is not to come until late October, when these silly restrictions will be lifted. It is my understanding that you will need to show full accommodation reservations for your entire trip, which as you say, is totally impractical. If you know someone who lives in China, then you can ask them to invite you to stay in their home, but they will need to provide lots of paperwork, and maybe even proof of relationship with you (past emails, photos, etc).
Jul 30, 2008 00:11
  • JABAROOTOO
Here's what I suggest.

Pick your main cities and book the cheapest rooms you can find to cover the duration of your stay. You'll most likely have to pay a small deposit per room per night. Even if this amounts to $30 or so it is worth to get your visa.

If you stay more than two or three days in these hostels etc you may be able to recoup all your deposit after you cancel the nights that you don't actually stay with them.

There are the odd places that don't require a deposit but will still give you a reservation notice.

Otherwise delay your visit as has been suggested. Although this time of the year is more pleasant for travelling than later in the year as it gets very cold.

Good luck but it is a real problem for everyone.
Jul 30, 2008 20:35
  • APAULT
Yes, I have met people who have done as Jabs says, and some hostels have been very helpful in refunding in full...at this time they easily get replacement bookings - but they might not if the government keeps thi svisa regime going much longer!
Post a Reply to: hotel reservations for visa application?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code