Menu
Chinese women’s ‘dream lover’ VS Japanese Women’s ‘dream lover’
Jul 29, 2008 23:06
  • LEONARDO
Chinese women fall for Jang Dong-kun, Japanese women fall for Bae Yong Jun

A report published in 《Chosun_ilbo》(Korea Daily)on July 28 says that a Korean TV station conducted a survey on the popularity of Korea male celebs among Asian women(mainly among Chinese women and Japanese women).
Yonhap News Agency has released the result of the survey on July 22: Chinese women like Dong-Kun Jang (张东健), while Japanese women are infactuated with Bae Yong Jun(裴勇俊).

The report unveils the underlying resons for the different preferences for the two Korean stars. Among Asian women, Japanese women are thought be the most submissive, timid and gentle. Japanese women bow down to men in almost any occasion. Though, the situation has changed a lot so far, (Today’s new generation of Japanese women is no longer as submissive as their older generations.) Japanese men still make light of women. Japanese men hold a popular belief that bossing around women makes them feel they are “True Men” (Manly). Therefore, Japanese women desire to be cared thoroughly. They desire to marry considerate, gentle and even a little effeminate men. Bae Yong Jun is just of this kind. His gentle smile has the power to thaw out any icebergs in Japanese women’s hearts. Bae’s ‘soft facial features’ are fatal to Japanese women who has been tired of their bossy Japanese men.

As for Chinese women’s expectation of their ‘dream lovers’, the report says that heroic and masculine men are still Chinese women’s preference. Dong-Kun Jang’s appereance typifies masculine features.

Both Dong-Kun Jang and Bae Yong Jun have countless female fans, ranging from teen-girls to middle aged and married women. The report says only 800 Chinese women participated in the survey. I want to know how do you guys (especially women) think of the two Korean pop stars. Who is more attractive, Dong-Kun Jan Bae Yong Jun? How do western ladies view these two Asian men? Suppose you have to choose one, who will be your ‘dream lover’?

Trivia:
In 2005, Newsweek notes that "Japanese women are taking up the study of Korean language and history because of Bae Bae Yong Jun.”

Photo: Dong-Kun Jang (Left ) & Bae Yong Jun (Right)

Jul 29, 2008 23:11
  • LEONARDO
Bae Yong Joon (

Birthday: August 29, 1972
Birth place: Seoul, South Korea
Profession: South Korean actor
Starred in short film (Goodby my Love)

Jul 29, 2008 23:20
  • LEONARDO
Jang Dong-gun

Birthday: March 7, 1972
Birth place: : Yongsangu Seoul, South Korea
Profession: actor
Starred in 爱上女主播 "Eveui modeun geot" ------- (2000)

Jul 30, 2008 19:02
  • MARRIE
Leonardo, this survey is conducted by South Korea. Another survey in South Korea shows Chinese Medicine is invented in Korea, which is nonscence.

What i try to say is china has lots more actors better than Dong-Kun Jang .
Jul 30, 2008 19:59
  • JANE01
Dong-Kun Jang is more attractive in westerners' eyes. Bae Yong Jun complies with Asian beauty standard of a handsome man!
Jul 30, 2008 20:34
  • LEONARDO
MARRIE, yea, it is conducted by South Korea. " Traditional Chinese medicine is invented in Korea". The history of traditional Chinese medicine is probably longer the history of Korean nationality. South Korea is trying to claim more cultural heritage property. South Korea even claimed that Dragon Boat Festival is originated from Korea.
Jul 30, 2008 20:45
  • SHESGOTTOBE
“Japanese men still make light of women. Japanese men hold a popular belief that bossing around women makes them feel they are “True Men” (Manly). Therefore, Japanese women desire to be cared thoroughly. They desire to marry considerate, gentle and even a little effeminate men. Bae Yong Jun is just of this kind. His gentle smile has the power to thaw out any icebergs in Japanese women’s hearts. Bae’s ‘soft facial features’ are fatal to Japanese women who has been tired of their bossy Japanese men.”

This is the root of low birth rate problem in Japan that’s causing a lot of headaches to Japanese politicians. A lot of Japanese women don’t want to marry or marry late because they will not put up with men who would boss them around and direct how to live their lives. A lot of them would also go to Korea to look for husbands. Of course, this is an illusion that most Korean men are as romantic as they are presented in the Korean drama. Not that different from the illusions that Western men have about Asian women.

I haven’t been watching any Korean dramas but I have watched a couple of Korean movies in the past year. The last Korean sitcom I watched was like 4 years ago called New Non-Stop. I think Bae Yong Joon became popular to Japanese women because of the drama Winter Sonata.
Jul 30, 2008 20:54
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I don’t know anything about Jang Dong-gun but I am surprised that Korea’s most eligible bachelor Kwon Sang-woo who is very popular in Asia didn’t make the cut. Lots of broken hearts when he announced he is getting married.

Jul 30, 2008 20:55
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Kwon Sang-woo in suit.

Jul 31, 2008 22:11
  • SUNNYDREAM
I think Bae Yong Joon became popular to Japanese women because of the drama Winter Sonata.

Shesgottobe, have you watched Winter Sonata? Winter Sonata is big hit in Asia. The TV drama moved countless girls into tears. It is a very touching story.
Aug 3, 2008 22:26
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"Shesgottobe, have you watched Winter Sonata? Winter Sonata is big hit in Asia. The TV drama moved countless girls into tears. It is a very touching story."

Nope. I have not tried looking for it here in America. We have a different Region code so I won't be able to watch it on my DVD player unless it is specifically released for North America. Although I hate tearjerker love stories, I would like to see it just once so to see what the fuss is all about.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese women’s ‘dream lover’ VS Japanese Women’s ‘dream lover’
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code